• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M880 Towbar Adapter Questions

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks, just bought an M880 pickup. Considering dragging this thing home. Anyone ever installed or have pics of the towbar adapters installed? I'll post pics of the 880 when I get them.

Westech

CPL
my friend had one, the plates bolt on to the frame and stick out under the bumper a little bit. its a no drill install. I will get some pics for ya when I get my PC going again, mine crashed.

papercu

Those trucks have the steel bumper a civilian type works great, if you have access to one. Not as heavy and fits a regular ball. Wayne

M1075

I have never used the adapters with an M880, but here are some pics of them. Looks like a 4 bolt install per side. Got 4 holes on each side of the bumber near the frame rails?

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ace once said that the extra plate was for the 890 (2wd) stuff only. I have 2 sets of these but want to have my ducks in a row before I go. Maybe Westy will come up with the pics he had.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I haven't had any experience with said adapters and the military tow bar on these trucks. I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night (JK).
Seriously, after looking at the above pics of the adapters and plates, I stuck my head under the front of one of my trucks.
It appears to me that the tow bar adapter plate would get sandwiched in between the frame and tow hooks, and it appears from looking at the pass side plate above, that the tow bar brackets would end up just inside of the tow hooks.
I too remember it being said they were only for the M890, but I don't have one of those to look at.

If the adapter plates were not meant for the M880, then either holes have to be drilled or the tow hooks removed to use those holes for the tow bar brackets.

There are two angle iron brackets mounted just inside of the spring perches, at a slight angle, with a hole through it that may facilitate attaching the tow bar pivots to, but I doubt that is what they are for.

Hope this helps, didn't try for a pic as my camera doesn't do well inside of 3 feet.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ventured out with tape measure,
distance between tow hook mount holes is only 15 inch so I'll guess that the adaper plate in the above pic is mounted wrong and the brackets would be on the outside of the tow hooks.

Distance between the angle iron brackets, measured at hole is 25"
These brackets are on my M880, M882 & W400
They are not on either M886 or the M884, bolt holes are present though, so they may have been removed.

edit: added pic 10-12-08

Attachments

citizensoldier

Hey Kenny one truck I purchased had them installed. Not sure if its right but the tow hooks were removed. The front tow hook hole was used and another was drilled through the radiator support and bolted on. No extra plates on them but I think that would be a good idea to put on and have 4 bolts and disperse the pressure a bit. Does not look like a very strong system. That truck looks nice!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dodge gone! No longer need but thanks Lane and James. Acmunro, I have some left, let me know what you need.

dc3coyote

Kenny I never even got a chance to look, did you ever mount them? If not I could use a set for the truck. Looks like I will be getting a hold of it at the rally. Also I need to know what size/model carb out put on so I can get a rebuild kit.
Thanks
Branan

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brannan, it has a set on it but they are bent. I have more. Dunno about the carb, it was NOS for the M880. It's not a year old. The old one is on the front floorboard. Shouldn't need rebuilt just yet.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got back in from under the truck, outside Michigan winter!
Anyway, I have still not been able to find anything in print about the the tow bar adapters.
That's why I was just under the truck.
It has been said before that the adapter plates are for the M890. Don't have one of those, but the plates have M880 Series printed on them, not M890 Series, so I didn't believe it.

After looking this over with parts in hand,

for the 2wd drive M880 Series - the M890, M891, M892 and M893,
The plates will position the tow bar feet attaching portion under the frame rail at 34" wide and slightly forward .
refer to pic I posted in post #8 of this thread, those angled holes are what the plate attaches to.

for the 4wd M880 series,
I believe that the tow hooks are to be removed to mount the single piece adapter, kind of a narrow setup though. Holes would need to be drilled for any other location.

(I will likely use two of the 2wd plate mounting holes on the front rail and drill new holes in the second rail, mounting the adapters between the frame rail/leaf spring hangar and tow hooks, once I verify that width of the tow bar is adjustable enough for it to work there)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks