• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M911

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got the contract at the local scrap yard to unload all their heavy pieces (over 20,000#). I've got a forklift that will pick up 100,000# but it stuggles over the rough ground at the yard. What I was thinking about is a M911 with gin poles to unload stuff. Anybody have any idea what it would pick up with this setup? All I have to do is pick it up and have the truck or trailer pull out and then set down. Does anybody know what M911s are going for these days?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
One sold on GL the other day for around $33k. It was a beaut too! You could probably score a rough-terrain crane for that if you are patient and it would be a lot more efficient.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a 14 ton RT crane already but I need to be able to lift more than that. What are the military RT cranes rated for?

I've priced some motor cranes in the 35-50 ton range. They are very expensive for even wore out ones.

I've talked to some oil field guys that run winches and gin polls on heavy oil field trucks. They are lifting in the 50 ton range with some of the trucks. I'm just trying to find out how a M911 would compare.

M1075

I guess it depends on how big of poles you plan on adding! The truck and the existing winches would handle a LOT of weight. If you don't need to drive it much, you might also look for a 10 ton. They are a lot cheaper and seem to be more readily available. The single winch in the rear might be more convenient than the dual winches on the M911.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The military RTs are rated for 10 tons, 20K pounds. But I've heard the RTs are maintenance nightmares, I tried listing one a while back at I got a bunch of crosses and garlic thrown at me....

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1075 said:
I guess it depends on how big of poles you plan on adding! The truck and the existing winches would handle a LOT of weight. If you don't need to drive it much, you might also look for a 10 ton. They are a lot cheaper and seem to be more readily available. The single winch in the rear might be more convenient than the dual winches on the M911.
I won't need to drive it on road very much. About 5 miles back and forth to the scrap yard. I was looking at the 10 tons but a M911 seems like alot more truck for the kind of weight I'm talking about. A single winch would be better but I could add parts to the line and just use one winch.

M1075

You could use one winch to raise/lower the booms and the other to raise/lower the load. Sounds like a cool project.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Crazy thing is, the M911s used to be darn near unwanted. I was offered a mint M911 AND M747 trailer for $24K no more than five years ago. I decided against buying the tank I was looking at and decided I did not need a trailer that was 144" wide sitting around. I wish I had bought the truck and trailer. I could have sold the trailer and had the truck cheap. Unfortunately, the truck is now gone.

jimbo*

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would seem to me a much more versatile piece of equipment, if you have the time to dedicate to operating it, would be a Cat front end loader. I say versatile because a 980C model has a five cubic yard bucket, can easily lift 40K lbs, and can work for $150-$200 per hour loading dirt,gravel, etc... and it's a helluva fun ride!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks