• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m915 recovered to Nebraska

reb87

Well it was a long recovery with a few bumps but my m915 is finally home.

It was dragged out of a snow pile at fort drum and as usual someone with forklifts and no regard for old trucks did some damage. The maxibrakes were bent up a little and air lines,tailights and wires smashed. I ended up having a towtruck get it off the base and load it onto a stepdeck. So by the time I got it here I had doubled the gl price of $3600 for the truck. I figured I could get it here for around $1500 but the brakes being stuck on more than doubled my estimate. When the truck got here it had thawed enough that it was pretty greasy on top of frozen ground. The trucker wouldnt be able to get to my loading dock. We ended up loading my JD 450c crawler onto my 872a3 and backing it up to his stepdeck. I pulled the 915 up onto my trailer (mine was about 12 inches taller than his)off of his with the crawler. Then I drove back to my loading dock and pulled the 915 off with one of my extra 818 trucks. To move the truck off the trailer I had to take off the broken maxibrake line and replace it with the service line from the same brake. Then I hooked into my emergency air on another extra 818 truck. that allowed us to release the maxi brakes and pull away. Once I got the truck off I checked the fluids and tried to jump start it. The batteries were frozen and bulged so I pulled them and installed two new ones. I gave it a small shot of ether and hit the starter. It fired right up and ran great. I drove it around the section and other than the leaky diaphram in the broken maxi, it worked fine. All I have to do is straighten the brakes fix the tailights and replace one diaphram and air line on the bent brake and it should be ready to go. The only really odd thing is the window crank and mechanism seems to be missing on the drivers door. I also couldnt figure out the "no a/c" on the door. I thought it meant air cleaner but it has the aircleaner.

Attachments

M1075

Sweet truck! You will definitely enjoy that truck when you need to go on future long distance recoveries. Couple to your M872, you know LTC Fankenhouser will be smiling down on you.

reb87

I think of him a lot especially when reading from searches here. He had some much advice and always a good word for so many.

I cant wait to do a recovery with it.

M1075

I think he commanded a company of those trucks and trailers. He was very fond of them and has shared many stories here in the past regarding them. Dig up some of those old threads and you hear about some guys driving those 100 mph (or close to it).

reb87

I havent driven it far yet but in my test drive around the section I was amazed how it accelerated. On the flip side it was basically stuck in 1 inch mud ontop of frozen ground. I locked the rear differentials and it still wouldnt go. I still want to buy a good parts truck and put the engine in one of my 818 trucks. The last one in NY went for a little over a grand but it is too far away. I hope some come up for sale a little closer.

Lonesome715

I have been trying like hell to get one of those. After driving them over here, I have nothing but respect for those old Generals. I want a couple very badly. Keep me in mind if you ever want to sell it.

reb87

I suppose these will be more available as they are getting pretty old. Mine says 9000 miles but it is pretty rusty and a couple of the tires are pretty worn though they do have different color rims. Maybe the tires were pulled to replace worn out ones on other trucks

Lonesome715

The ones over here have been up-armored. I doubt they will go through the exspense of changing them back. I wonder what happened to all the parts they removed.

mbarber84

reb87, does that truck have the Caterpillar transmission? Or is it the other transmission (name / model escapes me) I always wondered how those cat trannys performed in those trucks. I believe they were actually Cat Haul Truck transmissions?

Nice pick up by the way, truck looks good!

reb87

My 919 had armor on the doors. You can see where it is still cammo. Holes drilled all the way around for mounting.
Mbarber the straight series (lower than a1) have the cat tranny. A1 and higher have allison I believe.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks