• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M915A1 and related General Electrical System Discussion

martinwcox

I recently purchased an M915A1 and have been looking at what likely spares I may need outside of the usual consumables as in filters etc.

One area that appears in many threads is that the electrical setup in these vehicles is not the most robust being a 24V / 12V system. The 100A alternator is fitted with an outboard transformer / rectifier details of which I have attached. And seems to 'burn up' with some regularity.

I also have read that the main light switch is severely underrated in terms of load capacity and could well do with a slave relay being employed to save the switch.

I would like to hear from those owners that have had issues and the resolution that was deployed.

TIA,

Martin.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Other than the items you mentioned, the M915A1 has to be the most reliable vehicle ever made.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The first M915 I had was full of electrical grimlins. Light switch failed, ignition switch had to be bypassed so I could drive it home and the breakers were alway popping. The second one came with the alternator and starter wires fried due to incorrect battery installation by the unit that owned it. I had to replace the rectifier on the back of the alternator also. I replaced the stock light switch with one from NAPA that was used in a commercial Jeep.

Other than the items you mentioned, the M915A1 has to be the most reliable vehicle ever made.
They may have been reliable but they rode like an oxcart, had crappy heater/defroster, no heated mirrors and the spring seat would give you hemmoroids you could cut O-rings off of.:shock: I had the dubious honor of convoying one from Fort Benning, GA to NTC in California. The trip took five days and I was glad to get there. When offered the chance to fly back I jumped on it.

That being said I'm hunting for one with the Cat tranny in it now.