• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M915A1 stalling issue ??

Tapper02

Hello all,
I recently purchased a 1884 M915A1. It was a 1992 rebuild and was bought at auction in 2013, driven less than 300 miles/year since. I drove it home just under 500 miles a few weeks ago and towards the end of the trip it developed a tendency to stall at the stop sign/light if I pulled off the highway. I've used it a few times locally in the past week and a half and the stalling issue is still there, even when used on secondary roads, but intermittent. It always starts right back up with no issues....just frustrating to have to slap it in neutral and restart it.
I changed the fuel filter, but that's all I've done so far and the air filters look fine. I haven't found anything so far in the Operators Manual or Org. Maint. Manual that addresses this specific issue. Any ideas what might be causing this before I go wholesale fluid / filter changes?

Thanks!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello all,
I recently purchased a 1884 M915A1. It was a 1992 rebuild and was bought at auction in 2013, driven less than 300 miles/year since. I drove it home just under 500 miles a few weeks ago and towards the end of the trip it developed a tendency to stall at the stop sign/light if I pulled off the highway. I've used it a few times locally in the past week and a half and the stalling issue is still there, even when used on secondary roads, but intermittent. It always starts right back up with no issues....just frustrating to have to slap it in neutral and restart it.
I changed the fuel filter, but that's all I've done so far and the air filters look fine. I haven't found anything so far in the Operators Manual or Org. Maint. Manual that addresses this specific issue. Any ideas what might be causing this before I go wholesale fluid / filter changes?

Thanks!
I would guess that with the truck sitting more than being driven...
Then imaging that with time "gunk" grows in fuel tanks.
Small flakes of rust (or maybe not in an aluminum tank) get sloshed off the tank walls.
Could have been that you picked up water or trash in a refuel stop too...

Just using logic, everything started out fine on your trip. As the trip progressed, the stalling started happening.
I believe that the first place I would look would be the fuel filters and the water separator if you have one.

You might use a bright flashlight and see what you can see in the bottom of the fuel tanks.
They will grow algae and that is definitely worth investigating.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hello all,

Thanks!
First screw in the fuel solenoid override so that eliminates anything electrical.

When coasting to a stop well before you plan to stop put the transmission in neutral and see if it stalls at a full stop.

This will identify a torque converter that is not unlocking

Tapper02

Thanks Mullaney...I'm going to check the fuel pump screen next. Can't see inside the tank as there's a built-in screen inside the fuel fill neck.

First screw in the fuel solenoid override so that eliminates anything electrical.

When coasting to a stop well before you plan to stop put the transmission in neutral and see if it stalls at a full stop.

This will identify a torque converter that is not unlocking
Thanks Simp....will do. Interesting bit of troubleshooting with throwing it neutral but that makes sense.

Might be a few weeks before I get back out to where I store the truck, but I'll let you know what comes out of this.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks