• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916- 12v or 24 volts ?

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
Is a M916 12 or 24 volt? The batteries are hooked up 24 volt and it has a slave connection.But I thought I read it was 12 volt.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both. Starter is 24V, rest of the electrical system is 12V. The alternator produces 12V and has a second rectifier for 24 V. Also has a 24V circuit to power tactical trailers.

R Racing

The manual shows that its primarly a 12V system, But uses 24v for starting. It also states that there is 2 cables for trailers that are normally stored under the passanger seat. 1 is for a standard 12v trailer , the other is for a military 24v trailer. so I would say hooking up a brake controller is very doable.So from there discription I would say there lighting is 12V but you could use a meter to double check.

Last edited:

Hammer

Quick look at tpub shows this simple diagram.
ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Not sure how much real charging it can do for 24v, but with a battery equalizer as part of the system, I imagine the alternator doesn't put out a lot of 24v.
Seems like doing the 12v electrical hookups should be pretty easy though.

eldgenb

the alternator puts out something like 90 amps 12v only, that is scaled down through a rectifier to 32 amps 24v part of the truck is on 12v most of it on 24v. I would double check the headlights I do believe that all lighting, guages, cigarette lighter etc are all 24v. afaik the only thing 12v is the trailer circuit for powering a civi trailer.

Monkeyboyarmy

Just to clerify,all lights on the 915's through 920's are 12 volt. The only things that are 24 volts are the starter,heaters for the cat trans, and military trailer wiring. Like was said earlier,the alternator is a 12 volt alternator with a rectifier for 24 volts that keeps the top side batteries charged. The link above is for the A4 version with a battery equalizer. Early trucks didn't have these. Hope this helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks