• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M920 fire extinguisher placement

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have read the threads of the placement of fire extinguishers in the M37 & M35, but was wondering if there is some sort of DOT requirements for an M920 type of truck. If I get pulled over, I suspect that I will have enough to go through explaining the military vehicle registration and don't want to get caught up is something as silly as fire extinguisher location.

NSCoyote

i believe as long as its easily accessable its all good, i know i used to keep mine in the tool locker under the bunk(accesable from inside via lifting the bunk or outside via door on sleeper) on my old OTR truck. just make sure its a 5lb ABC *DOT requires minimum 5lb abc * rated extinguisher and its within easy reach

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Texas there is no exemption from TXDOT and USDOT registration for non-commercial use of a 26,001 and over GVW truck.

NSCoyote

From dot websitte, federal regulations 49 CFR 393.95

393.95 Emergency equipment on all
power units.​
Each truck, truck tractor, and bus
(except those towed in driveawaytowaway
operations) must be equipped
as follows:
(a)​
Fire extinguishers—(1) Minimum
ratings.
(i) A power unit that is used to
transport hazardous materials in a
quantity that requires placarding (See
§ 177.823 of this title) must be equipped
with a fire extinguisher having an Underwriters’
Laboratories rating of 10
B:C or more.
(ii) A power unit that is not used to
transport hazardous materials must be
equipped with either:
(A) A fire extinguisher having an Underwriters’
Laboratories rating of 5 B:C
or more; or
(B) Two fire extinguishers, each of
which has an Underwriters’ Laboratories
rating of 4 B:C or more.
(2)
Labeling and marking. Each fire extinguisher
required by this section
must be labeled or marked by the manufacturer
with its Underwriters’ Laboratories
rating.
(3)
Visual Indicators. The fire extinguisher
must be designed, constructed,
and maintained to permit visual determination
of whether it is fully charged.
(4)
Condition, location, and mounting.

The fire extinguisher(s) must be filled
and located so that it is readily accessible
for use. The extinguisher(s) must
be securely mounted to prevent sliding,
rolling, or vertical movement relative
to the motor vehicle.
(5)​
Extinguishing agents. The fire extinguisher
must use an extinguishing
agent that does not need protection
from freezing. Extinguishing agents
must comply with the toxicity provisions
of the Environmental Protection
Agency’s Significant New Alternatives
Policy (SNAP) regulations under 40
CFR Part 82, Subpart G.
(6)
Exception. This paragraph (a) does
not apply to the driven unit in a

driveaway-towaway operation.
bold and underlined the pertinent sections

Whitey

My friend is refitting a F450 with a custom built bed for his tree company. When he saw the extinguisher mounted on the floor of my M1009 he pulled out the DOT checklist and pointed out that it met the requirement. I said "Cool" and never told him it was empty, ha! Oh, and I will be getting a nice new working one for under the seat shortly, so no fussin!

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My friend is refitting a F450 with a custom built bed for his tree company. When he saw the extinguisher mounted on the floor of my M1009 he pulled out the DOT checklist and pointed out that it met the requirement. I said "Cool" and never told him it was empty, ha! Oh, and I will be getting a nice new working one for under the seat shortly, so no fussin!
Empty? They're $15, throw the empty one away, buy a new one today, and put it in the bracket, not beneath the seat!

Whitey

Empty? They're $15, throw the empty one away, buy a new one today, and put it in the bracket, not beneath the seat!
I have a U.S. Gov't Property marked one in the bracket. I like the originality. I "borrowed" another original one from my dad, but he now wants it back. From what I've read about halon I'm not sure I'd use that one anyhow. I will be getting a good quality new one shortly, and yes, I will be mounting it under the seat.

Question: Where have other people found reasonable deals on quality brand extinguishers? I refuse to buy from Wal-Mart and the only other places I've ever got them is Lowes, Kidde brand I believe.

Thanks in advance.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The point of the $15 fire extinguisher is not that they are "inexpensive". The point is one should not have an empty extinguisher. Yes, there are many good quality commercial extinguishers on the market, but a person should buy what they can afford, and know how to use it.
I agree that the best option would be a rechargeable extinguisher and keeping it serviced, but the majority of the extinguisher owning population (commercial and individual) does not maintain and service their extinguishers in accordance with the recognized standards or the manufacturers recommendations. Yes, the extinguisher that came with the Deuce may look cool, but the thing probably hasn't been propery checked in twenty years!

Any extinguisher that is UL listed or FM approved will generally be a decent one, no matter where you buy it. I have heard of Chinese extinguishers without the UL or FM label. Stay away from those. Generally, a 2.5lb Dry-Chem ABC is good for passenger cars, light trucks, and your home. For medium and commercial trucks and your garage or basement workshop, I go with at least a 5lb Dry-Chem ABC. (The weight rating is the weight of the charge and not the total weight of the extinguisher)
Graingers for example sells good extinguishers at a reasonable price, or look in your local yellow pages for fire extinguisher companies, they're all over.

Keep in mind too, that the dry chemical powder is real corrosive to electrical, electronics, and some metals.

Whitey

The point of the $15 fire extinguisher is not that they are "inexpensive". The point is one should not have an empty extinguisher. Yes, there are many good quality commercial extinguishers on the market, but a person should buy what they can afford, and know how to use it.
I agree that the best option would be a rechargeable extinguisher and keeping it serviced, but the majority of the extinguisher owning population (commercial and individual) does not maintain and service their extinguishers in accordance with the recognized standards or the manufacturers recommendations. Yes, the extinguisher that came with the Deuce may look cool, but the thing probably hasn't been propery checked in twenty years!

Any extinguisher that is UL listed or FM approved will generally be a decent one, no matter where you buy it. I have heard of Chinese extinguishers without the UL or FM label. Stay away from those. Generally, a 2.5lb Dry-Chem ABC is good for passenger cars, light trucks, and your home. For medium and commercial trucks and your garage or basement workshop, I go with at least a 5lb Dry-Chem ABC. (The weight rating is the weight of the charge and not the total weight of the extinguisher)
Graingers for example sells good extinguishers at a reasonable price, or look in your local yellow pages for fire extinguisher companies, they're all over.

Keep in mind too, that the dry chemical powder is real corrosive to electrical, electronics, and some metals.
Thanks for the info. I'll do a little more research and pick one out shortly. I have a big fear of engine fires after my dad told me a story how a fuel line on one of his muscle cars back in the 60's decided to split open over a nice hot engine. Fortunately, he was at a light next to a gas station that had an extinguisher handy.