• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 auto tranny

Tacitus

New to military vehicles so all help is greatly appreciated. Bought a 923, automatic, one owner before myself, older gentleman that just drove it in parades. Had a rebuild by the military before he bought it. I use it for farm work. Showing low miles and hours if accurate. I have put about 500 miles on it. When I put it in gear, fwd or reverse, the entire truck jerks. Is this normal? I checked the tranny fluid, engine running and temp on 180, was showing over the full mark. Dipstick is stamped something like check while running. Fluid looks clean and like it should, kind of the same as motor oil. Thanks in advance.

ohsmily

New to military vehicles so all help is greatly appreciated. Bought a 923, automatic, one owner before myself, older gentleman that just drove it in parades. Had a rebuild by the military before he bought it. I use it for farm work. Showing low miles and hours if accurate. I have put about 500 miles on it. When I put it in gear, fwd or reverse, the entire truck jerks. Is this normal? I checked the tranny fluid, engine running and temp on 180, was showing over the full mark. Dipstick is stamped something like check while running. Fluid looks clean and like it should, kind of the same as motor oil. Thanks in advance.
Mine shifts smoothly into drive. Selecting reverse causes a single shake. I figured it was normal.

Reactions: HDN

Mrgior31513

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM says to start with transmission yoke for looseness or wear, then goes on to propeller shaft u-joints, I would check those to discount that as an issue.

Reactions: HDN

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have two M931s, both do the same thing when put in gear - a slight but perceptible clunk.

Since you are new to the trucks, some points of advice -
Pause in neutral briefly when switching from forward to reverse, and back again

Never ever ever put the truck in reverse in low range, it'll break the transfer case

Starting the engine - top switch on, bottom switch on and start
Stopping the engine - bottom switch off, top switch off
Doing it in the wrong order leads to PCB failure (Protective Control Box)

Cheers