• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m923 DRAGING BRAKE PROBLEM

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey guys,
Picked up my m923 from ft-meade the other day. it ran like a top. Was rebuilt in 2006!
new tires and brake hardware it looks like.
Anti-lock brakes were added and the brakes must have been adjusted. But, 1 rear brake was draging. i dident notice it until i got home. 35 min drive. The brake was smoking and axel fluid leaking down. (smoking) I guess it got so hot it melted the seal. I need to drive it to the truck shop, but i need to back the brake off some. I only see 1 large adjusting bolt. Any quick and dirty way to back the brake off some?..

Kevin...

yes i will have some pics soon..just installed my 1600's...

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is caging that chamber really going to help, if in fact the shoes are mis-adjusted and dragging? If it was an air problem to that chamber, I could see it, but wouldn't rotating the adjusters be the only way to go if they're not releasing regularly?

To adjust the shoes with the adjusters, RTFM.:wink:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When my left rear brakes dragged badly on the M813, they would break loose if I backed up on the shoulder and braked hard. Next brake application locked it down again, so repeat the process as necessary. That got me off the highway and back to my shop at least, since I wasn't going to be able to get anywhere near that drum with tools for a while.

If you cage that brake and try that, perhaps it will get you to the shop.

Cheers

(Brake, break, brake...I'm getting confused!)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the 923s have wedge air brakes, they have built in cage bolts, take the end cap off, use a 9/16 long socket, there TWO types of wedge brakes, one cages left hand, the other gages right hand, run the nut down, this will pull the cage bolt up, if it has a bolt instead of a nut, run the bolt up, this will cage the brake. most wedge brake problems happens when the wedge is dry (not lubed) the wedge hangs up on the shoes and will not slide thuse not releasing the brake

Last edited:

srodocker

Is there a way to lube them without taking everything off? My next option on mine is to take the locknut off and then the clamp on the shaft and look inside correct? My brakes are stuck on the drum. And the adjusting wheels arnt moving at all. Any tricks to that? And yes my pot parking brake pot is caged while this is being done for safety.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
On military trucks no lube, on civi truck there is a lube fitting,

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would take the time to install a lube fitting after you cleaned everything while freeing up the brakes, does not take much, the wedge style brakes will tend to rust after sitting for a while, then hang up when used, so you need to use the truck more often or install the fittings.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It makes me uneasy, hearing about all the Folks driving heavy trucks, and not having a clue about how they work. Probably a simple adjustment/check during the walk around, at the pick-up point would been sufficient. A CDL requires at least an elementary knowledge of the safety systems.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It makes me uneasy, hearing about all the Folks driving heavy trucks, and not having a clue about how they work. Probably a simple adjustment/check during the walk around, at the pick-up point would been sufficient. A CDL requires at least an elementary knowledge of the safety systems.
The initial walkabout would not find a dragging spring brake. I've had two trucks that only showed heat after 20-40 miles. When the spring brakes were caged for that hot wheel, the hub and wheel temp dropped quickly when I started moving again. That does illustrate why you should stop and check the hubs on a strange truck and trailer the first 10-20 miles.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Granted Trailboss, but check, and re-check, and when you stop, you don't even need to get out (sometimes). The truck should roll/coast/rock, to ever so fine a stop. That truck shop won't be cheap!

srodocker

Having my cdl I know about a pretrip. This is a new problem that arose on a pre trip after fixing another problem. I get the basic understanding of how the system works but did not know the internals of the brake system. Shoot I could have broken springs as well. I will defiantly open it up and check it out.

Thanks 73m819 for the heads up on that. I will defiantly look into adding a lube port of some sort.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
THIS. If you don't have a clue about how airbrakes work, you shouldn't be driving them.