• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A1 New Purchase

Randyw

Just purchased my first M923A1 5-Ton and have to say I am very impressed. The truck is in excellent condition and everything on the truck works great. Thanks for all the info from the guys in my original post before deciding to make the purchase. Still have to get it registered and insurance but what little I have driven it the trucks drives very well. Any input on anything I need to do to the truck please let me know. Thanks!

5-TON.jpg

Csm Davis

Just start changing every piece of rubber hose, fuel lines first, then belts ect.. Then filters and fluids. Look at disabling the transfer case auto engagement switch, so you can drive on pavement in low range and back up in low if you need to. If the transfer case lever is hard to shift you might want to disable or clean and repair the lockout cylinder and or solenoid.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Randyw

Just start changing every piece of rubber hose, fuel lines first, then belts ect.. Then filters and fluids. Look at disabling the transfer case auto engagement switch, so you can drive on pavement in low range and back up in low if you need to. If the transfer case lever is hard to shift you might want to disable or clean and repair the lockout cylinder and or solenoid.

I did a good check on all the hoses and belts and to my surprise they look fairly new. The belts look very good as well. The one thing I have noticed is the emergency brake alarm will sometimes stay on after releasing the break. It will either go off, stay on, or come on and off while driving. Any suggestions on how to fix that?

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did a good check on all the hoses and belts and to my surprise they look fairly new. The belts look very good as well. The one thing I have noticed is the emergency brake alarm will sometimes stay on after releasing the break. It will either go off, stay on, or come on and off while driving. Any suggestions on how to fix that?
Check the ground. It's based on a contact switch in the handle grounding out the alarm. The connection between the switch and the floor was bad on mine.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
... The one thing I have noticed is the emergency brake alarm will sometimes stay on after releasing the break. It will either go off, stay on, or come on and off while driving. Any suggestions on how to fix that?
That alarm is also for when the air pressure drops below about 60 psi. Check those gauges when the alarm goes off when driving. With faulty brake system valves, sometimes holding your foot on the brake will dump air pressure.

Csm Davis

You can't look at the fuel lines and tell if they are good. If you want to test instead of replace then you will need to unhook at the tank and the filter then plug one end and pressurize the line and check for leaks then do the line to the pump the same way around 40 psi should be good.

Randyw

You can't look at the fuel lines and tell if they are good. If you want to test instead of replace then you will need to unhook at the tank and the filter then plug one end and pressurize the line and check for leaks then do the line to the pump the same way around 40 psi should be good.

Thanks, I still plan on changing everything out even though it looks new and in good shape. Just rather be safe then sorry after getting it where I can drive it pretty regular. My next job will be changing hoses, belts, Oil and filters.

Randyw

That alarm is also for when the air pressure drops below about 60 psi. Check those gauges when the alarm goes off when driving. With faulty brake system valves, sometimes holding your foot on the brake will dump air pressure.
That was also my concern but while driving the truck I paid close attention to the gauges and the air pressure stayed above 60 pounds the entire time. Mainly stayed around 120.

Last edited:

Csm Davis

That was also my concern but while driving the truck I paid close attention to the gauges and the air pressure stayed above 60 pounds the entire time. Mainly stayed around 120.
You might wnt to start there and remove one valve at a time and clean and check each one through out the whole air system, many of these are full of rust and hidden problems.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Randy, do you understand the differences between a full airbrake system and passenger vehicle brakes?

In normal operation, you should never see 90psi or below. At 90psi your alarms come on.

At 70psi your secondary systems no longer recieve air (horn, wipers, transfer etc)

Below 60psi, your springbrakes are pending activation.

Also, FYI, TX requires a class B for the 939series trucks.

Randyw

Randy, do you understand the differences between a full airbrake system and passenger vehicle brakes?

In normal operation, you should never see 90psi or below. At 90psi your alarms come on.

At 70psi your secondary systems no longer recieve air (horn, wipers, transfer etc)

Below 60psi, your springbrakes are pending activation.

Also, FYI, TX requires a class B for the 939series trucks.
Yes I understand the breaking systems. The pressure gauge stays around 120 psi while driving that's why I was thinking the alarm buzzer was the problem. The light does not flash only the buzzer sounds. Some times it does and sometimes it does not.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I understand the breaking systems. The pressure gauge stays around 120 psi while driving that's why I was thinking the alarm buzzer was the problem. The light does not flash only the buzzer sounds. Some times it does and sometimes it does not.
120 is where it's set.

They're notorious for constantly and intermittently alarming for no reason.