• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A1 VS. M923A2 opinions needes.

2mtrucks

I have owned several old deuces, an M37 and 2 M1028s, and many civilian Cummins trucks... but no 5 tons. I want a 5 ton now but I am not as well informed as I should be. Hopefully some of you can enlighten me with some facts and your experiences and opinions. I have looked at both A1 and A2 and I know(I think) that the A2 is a turbo. And I think the A2 has ABS. Other than that what are the differences?

My questions:

1) Is the power notably different? 2) Is one more reliable than the other? 3) Is the ABS reliable...I know its NOT on the 35a3s. 4)Top speeds any different? 5) Is the Allison auto considered reliable? 6)I have seen several A2s referred to as BMYs...what does that mean? 7) Is the 8.3 CTA as good as the older NA motor and is it run in any part by computer or electronics.
Thanks in advance and sorry for the ignorance...I will keep reading on this sight to glean some answers but any help would be appreciated. I have looked seriously at a couple of very low mile 2010 depot rebuild A1 trucks that were flawless in the neighborhood of $10000 which is a lot but they are local...shipping one 1000 miles just cost too much and buying one online is out of the question. I have been screwed on Ebay too many times.

sandcobra164

I don't know how to link threads but I'm sure someone will come along and do so. I'll answer your questions in order. 1. No. 2. No. 3. It helped keep the motor from shutting down which would disable the powersteering, the Army felt that it helped. 4. Both motors were governed at the same rpm. The A1's and A2's both roll on 14's so they should top out about the same. 5. The Allison is in both trucks. If you buy one, strong advice from reading is have it serviced by an Allison shop asap as the military didn't run the correct oil. Also inquire about having the shift points set in it. 6. The BMY trucks came from a merger. All BMY trucks that I have seen are A2's. 7. It just depends. The A1's have an older motor, the A2's have a newer motor. They are both suspect until you get your hands on it and have it checked. No computer involved on either.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The a2 turbo motor is easily turned up to make more power it is a significant difference compared to the nhc250 powered trucks and it is quiet I drive and listen to the radio. With the nhc250 you can play a radio but all you will listen to is the motor.

2mtrucks

From what have have read on and off this sight, it sounds like both motors have a very good reputation. I have considered an M35A3 but it seems no one, even civilian truck owners ,have anything good to say about the 3116 CAT motor. What, if anything are the concerns of the nch250 or the 8.3CTA? Is cavitation an issue on either engine? And is the nhc 250 also called an N14?Thanks.

Last edited:

Hoefler

A3 cat motor bad? I have an A3 and like the engine in it. Have a buddy who has worked for cat for 20 years who tells me the 3116 has been a great engine. Only issue is getting the top injector rack set up proper. Runs great and has good power. No issues. Also have a 923 and an A2 wrecker. I do like the later cummins, though have not owned it long enough to know about durability. It's a quieter engine but seems to have less torque than the nifty fifty.
Pete

mcmullag

I googled 'BMY of Harsco' its three peoples names and it appears Harsco is some huge amalgamation that owns 50 companies..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Defense " ...The company started as a division of the agricultural machine business, Food Machinery Corporation (FMC), when they won a US government contract to build LVTs and became a weapon manufacturer during World War II. Bowen McLaughlin York (later the BMY
division of Harsco Corporation) also began building tanks around this time and airplanes."

Csm Davis

Both a1 and a2 should have abs braking the a2 has ctis which has been known to be a problem to keep up with. The axles are different because of this and parts can be hard to come by compared to the a1.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the 5 tons are supposed to have ABS, even my 923A0 does. I just fixed it. I never heard of a M35A3 having ABS. Could you expand on that? Most of us buy at auction GL. All your getting for double the price is double the profit for a dealer IMO. I have a car/truck dealer with a couple nice M931's for sale, at about twice to three times what we can buy them for on GL. To each his own, I don't believe anyone sells these trucks with a warranty so why pay double?

Csm Davis

Abs was an upgrade but I think all a2s came with it and all the others are supposed to have it there's even something in Govliquidation rules about them having to up grade them before selling them