• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A1 wont go above 20 MPH

Big Sarnt

I just recently got an 84' m923A1, and after driving for about 15-20 mins. The front hubs will get extremely hot and or smoke. The truck is also limited to around 20 MPH(downhills around 25-28 MPH). Truck has no visible or audible air leaks, so personally I think the front brakes are possibly rusted . Ive also been trying to find a -20 or -30 TM, but nothing but only the -10 pops up on internet searches.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You messaged me on YouTube.

Get an IR gun to verify which brakes are getting hot.

Front only, it's a bad treadle valve 90% of the time. Others its a bad vent relief in the Q2 valve but it's rare.

If only the rear spring brakes are applying it can be a bad check valve to the spring tank.

Get an air pressure gauge and rig it up to the drain on the spring tank so you can see it's pressure. The dash gauges DO NOT show the pressure in that tank.

If all brakes are applying it is a bad treadle valve @profo had this happen to his truck

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s probably only going 20 because the brakes are locked up. I had the drivers side front rear lock up on mine due to a bad diagram and it felt like I was in low gear.
it was easy to figure out because I couldn’t even touch the drum because it was so hot after less than a half mile. I had to cage it to get it home.

Big Sarnt

You messaged me on YouTube.

Get an IR gun to verify which brakes are getting hot.

Front only, it's a bad treadle valve 90% of the time. Others its a bad vent relief in the Q2 valve but it's rare.

If only the rear spring brakes are applying it can be a bad check valve to the spring tank.

Get an air pressure gauge and rig it up to the drain on the spring tank so you can see it's pressure. The dash gauges DO NOT show the pressure in that tank.

If all brakes are applying it is a bad treadle valve @profo had this happen to his truck
its the front brakes only heating up, the rears are ice cold

Big Sarnt

It’s probably only going 20 because the brakes are locked up. I had the drivers side front rear lock up on mine due to a bad diagram and it felt like I was in low gear.
it was easy to figure out because I couldn’t even touch the drum because it was so hot after less than a half mile. I had to cage it to get it home.
what is the caging process?

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All service brakes would apply not just the front
Agreed but from recent experience helping repair a truck that had this happen (debris plugging the glad hand vent), the fronts were grabbing much harder than the rears, enough to damage the wheel bearings on both sides. I could see how someone could think it was only the fronts that had an issue so I thought it was worth checking.

20220827_122645.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: rtk
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks