• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 overspeed light issue

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My A2 overspeed light on the dash flashes pretty much any time I go over 55mph even when the highway selector has fully aired up the tires and is a steady red on the highway mode panel of the CTIS selector. Anyone else have that issue or a clue to why it may be flashing? I understand it's there for the purpose of reminding you of driving too fast when in Xcountry or sand mode. Checked tire pressure, all tires are 60 PSI, are they supposed to be higher?

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is CORRECT! I know it sounds incorrect, especially since the dataplate indicates the truck will do 63 MPH, but it is right. Does your CTIS work? If so, you may have to deal with it unless you remove the bulb. If the CTIS does not work, just disconnect the wiring going to the back of the CTIS computer, and that should disable the light, too. Regardless, check the tires because they might be marked 55 MPH MAX. I have only seen this warning on the Goodyear super singles. I'll have to check to see if they are on my M923A2 as I did not check that truck.

kdaniels

My A2 does the same thing...on the trip back from RedStone any time i kept it above 55 for a few minutes it would flash . With the bigger tires i would say that was a warning to heed.

SEMPER FI!!

keith

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Yup I flash on the highway all the time. I don't know what it's connected to it doesn't always come on at the exact same speed. I just ignore it.

saddamsnightmare

MAy 28th, 2013... Boys, I hope they upgraded the brakes on the 5tons, because if you are doing 63, you probably have nothing like the right brakes to stop in an emergency. If its a tactical truck, it probably isn't meant to do 63! (Particularly if you are running NDCCs)!!! Just a thought!:gimp2:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I personally try not to go over 60 on the highway but I can tell you my brakes work great. They work perfectly even at highway speed. It is a heavy truck it's not going to stop like a sports car. You leave extra room in front of you. Of course if you leave 7 car lengths 8 cars will somehow manage to squeeze in ahead of you. I bet I could stop just as fast as a similar sized semi or dump truck. I don't use mine for work so I don't ever carry loads.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MAy 28th, 2013... Boys, I hope they upgraded the brakes on the 5tons, because if you are doing 63, you probably have nothing like the right brakes to stop in an emergency. If its a tactical truck, it probably isn't meant to do 63! (Particularly if you are running NDCCs)!!! Just a thought!:gimp2:
Dash plate SAYS 63. Where do you get the idea 60 + is dangerous to brakes? 5 tons have a completely different brake system compared to 2 1/2 tons.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Does it say 63 on the plate I don't think I ever saw that. I can tell you one click each in on the 2 governor springs gives you another 200 rpms which will allows for nicer highway crusin.

saddamsnightmare

May 29th, 2013.Just remember, you get into an accident at 63 with a tactical truck, and I will bet you some lawyer will come up with design engineering data that says that was the red line, not the intended operating range for the truck. The five tons and deuces are not that wildly different in the design and use concepts, except that the deuce uses a air over hydraulic system and yours is straight air. Other then that, I take it you are saddled with an automatic transmission? The converted commercials like the Brigadier or Top Kick derivatives were probably better designed for road work, but even our 1960's civilian White Construcktors were not overly strong on road braking from high speeds, as they were very close to the tactical trucks used in the Army at that time..... Most trucks in that era depended on the transmission to assist in slowing down or holding the truck to speed on grades, and an automatic would seem less likely to be useful in holding speeds down...Let's hope none of us get to find out through an accident investigation and lawsuit by an injured party's lawyer just what the design limitations were on the 2-1/2 to 5 ton series trucks, as we may all lose out in the end.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The m923a2 is quite capable of comfortably crusing at 60-65mph. It has an air braking system designed to stop it while carrying 5-10 tons of cargo and abs just in case. I roll on 6 new michelins and while they are only speed rated to 60mph that rating is at loaded capacity and I drive unloaded. Central inflation ensures all 6 tires have correct pressure. A 60's truck is no comparison. I would never drive over 45 if it was loaded but I drive empty. I see semi trucks rolling along loaded at 80mph and muffler monkeys in lowered Hondas weaving in and out I think my driving at 60something in one of the right 2 lanes along with the flow of traffic leaving space in front of me is the least of the safety worries on the highway. I think it is much more dangerous to drive at 50 with traffic flowing at 65 that's when accidents happen due to other impatient drivers and while it is not the slower drivers fault that these type of accidents happen they still happen and the driver that caused the accident isn't the only one that can get hurt.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The data plate right in front of the steering wheel indicates 63 MPH MAXIMUM in 5th gear. With that said, I keep it to 55 MPH. The tires on the truck are radials, not NDCCs, but, still, who knows what we've got unless we replaced the tires ourselves or really inspected inside the tires (which is not easy with the runflats in place on the A2s). My fear is actually a blow out in a front tire doing 55 MPH. That's got to be a lot of fun. I always allow for plenty of following distance, but sometimes the other drivers don't cooperate. I once had to steer into some trees along side of the road just to avoid a Subaru that had literally just pulled in front of me and then stopped.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Ok so the overspeed light senses off the speedometer there is a module on the back of the speedo. My cable crapped out no speedo no overspeed light. And the ctis uses the same signal source to determine speed it will let me select any range at speed now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks