• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925 Over weight boo boo - Transfer Case Won't Engage

MrChuckles

Today I took Gomer (my 925 A0) converted with a reinforced dump bed to the quarry to pick up a partial load of dirty base for our construction project. (Our driveway to the house site is steep and gravel truck drivers in the area are boycotting our build because of the decent.} Anyway, I hope the converted dump bed will raise the load. I made it home and down the drive without incident. I used it in low range transfer case, low gear and creepy crawled down the hill.

It turns out the quarry scale operator and I had a miscommunication and instead of getting a load of 4 tons, the loader filled the bed with 12 tons. I knew it was heavy but didn’t realize how heavy until I made it home to the construction site and checked the weigh ticket.

But now, the transfer case is stuck in neutral. I can’t get it engaged into high range or low range. A mechanic is coming tomorrow to help me sort it out. All in all though, I am happy with my first trip to the quarry for gravel. I will NEVER let it get that overloaded again, but it handled it. Now if only I can get it in gear and dump that heavy load. Fun day.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Today I took Gomer (my 925 A0) converted with a reinforced dump bed to the quarry to pick up a partial load of dirty base for our construction project. (Our driveway to the house site is steep and gravel truck drivers in the area are boycotting our build because of the decent.} Anyway, I hope the converted dump bed will raise the load. I made it home and down the drive without incident. I used it in low range transfer case, low gear and creepy crawled down the hill.

It turns out the quarry scale operator and I had a miscommunication and instead of getting a load of 4 tons, the loader filled the bed with 12 tons. I knew it was heavy but didn’t realize how heavy until I made it home to the construction site and checked the weigh ticket.

But now, the transfer case is stuck in neutral. I can’t get it engaged into high range or low range. A mechanic is coming tomorrow to help me sort it out. All in all though, I am happy with my first trip to the quarry for gravel. I will NEVER let it get that overloaded again, but it handled it. Now if only I can get it in gear and dump that heavy load. Fun day.
Empty the air tanks. It will shift it to high then. The interlock solenoid on the transfer case is sticking not allowing air to vent to release the pressure on the shift fork

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a similar experience with one of my deuces (not a dump) a few years back. I wrote down 1,000 pounds. They added a zero and put 10,000 pounds in. Actually not overloaded since I was on paved roads 95% of the trip and deuces are rated for 5 tons on paved roads. However, I had several very steep hills to climb at high altitude. I did it in first gear and low range with my right side wheels in the dirt along side the road, probably averaging 1 - 2 miles per hour. Once they put the gravel in, there was no way to get it out at the quarry. I had to shovel it out by hand once I got home.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can dump it, 12 ton is just the right amount before the brakes start to really feel the weight, especially if your still on duals. 4 ton is not worth your time and fuel. Also in a pinch you can pump your brakes to drop the air pressure just enough to get the transfer case to shift if it’s acting up.

MrChuckles

The reason for wanting a 4 ton load was that this was my first trip using the truck and it had been sitting for years before I bought it. I wanted to make a trial run at the quarry and down my hill before loading up heavier.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks