• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925's

1310monster

Hey guys! I'm a newbie to this site. Bear with me if I am asking repetitive questions. Me and my son have been searching the GL site and are amazed at the high prices some of the stuff is bringing. I'm also baffled why the govt. Would not get any more use out of a 925a2 than 90 miles,let it sit around, take parts off of it and let the tires rot off of it. Was there something inherently weak about this model? Something so weak that whatever it is, went out, then it wasn't worth fixing any more? Does anyone have any recent sales info what a truck like these bring on GL?

Rocky
Kentucky

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You never really know why that stuff happens to a particular truck.
Some possibilities:

It was a hanger queen, and hence turned into a Parts Donor to keep other trucks running in the motorpool. I saw a M1A1 tank that got stripped out over 6 months that was nothing more than a shell and a guntube.

It was getting replaced by a FMTV truck, and parts were needed for other trucks to get them turned in.

It wound up in a CANN point, and got scavenged.

The 900A2 series are nice trucks, and will serve you well..

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
They don't look too bad. It looks like most of the expensive A2 stuff is still there. You'll have to buy some CTIS parts to get that going. That can run your parts prices up quick as it is a little hard to come by. A lot of the other stuff like heaters, doors, side-rack/seats, etc... are the same as a 809-series 5-ton or even a deuce in some aspects. I had a 923A2. They are great trucks and I would have another one in a heartbeat! If I was closer, I would inspect and bid accordingly!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The CTIS parts are very hard to come by and expensive if you can. I was quoted $1000 per wheel to replace everything!

I own two M925A2s and I love them. They are every bit as good as the earlier trucks...possibly better (arguably).

D-Man

I second what Bruce is saying. Proprietary 900A2 parts are very expensive and with performing PMCS correctly and timely, it is also a costly truck to operate. Not including many other items, I recently have spent over $2000 for a radiator, fan actuator and solenoid alone. They are great, capable trucks and fun to operate, though, just be sure to bring your wallet!

Cdub

D-Man said:
I second what Bruce is saying. Proprietary 900A2 parts are very expensive and with performing PMCS correctly and timely, it is also a costly truck to operate. Not including many other items, I recently have spent over $2000 for a radiator, fan actuator and solenoid alone. They are great, capable trucks and fun to operate, though, just be sure to bring your wallet!
I couldn't agree more with both of you and Bruce......The best thing about them is working on them as well as driving them around.

Nice to see ya coming around D-Man..... [thumbzup]

seya,

C'dub

1310monster

Looks like I'm going to have to read the terminology dictionary. I don't know what ctis stands for. Do these 925's have air or juice brakes?

Rocky

M1075

Well, you could just read the operator's manual and it would help you learn a lot. CTIS is Central Tire Inflation System. Yep, air brakes.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If possible, find a truck with ABS on it as the ABS kits are almost impossible to find. I have no idea what they cost if you could find one, but I'd bet they are expensive. One of the design flaws of the M939 series is their tendency for their brakes to lock up...thereby causing the motor to stall and the driver to lose control of the vehicle. Fortunately, I never experienced this and I once had to make a "panic" stop due to an idiot Maryland driver, but that is a story for another day. Two of my trucks have the ABS, one does not. I would definitely buy a truck without the ABS, but I'd rather have it for obvious reasons.

Cdub

Bruce is right, try to find one that has the ABS already installed. The ABS MWO is almost impossible to find as a kit. I had started looking through the MWO manual for the ABS and there is a lot and a lot of work that needs to be done to install the ABS. Even as a mechanic, I don't know if I'd even attempt that one.....!!

Sorry to say mine doesn't have the ABS but I wish it did.

seya,

C’dub

D-Man

Bruce and C'dub,

Hope you guys are enjoying your 5 tons. Bruce, I hope this finds you and your family well.

The reason the M939's have a propensity to lock the wheels up is due to an overzealous proportioning brake valve (pre MWO) that would lock the brakes sometimes even under moderate pressure. I replaced this valve and it has made the truck exponentially safer to stop and stop quickly - much harder to lock up and very precise in its braking application - just drove mine on a trip 3 1/2 hours each way much of it in snow and on ice and didn't miss ABS at all. It braked perfectly. Replace this and you won't panic as much on panic stops anymore.

Call or pm me if you have questions. I can explain it better over the phone.

Cdub

Hi D-Man,

The MWO for the proportioning valve that your referring to is MWO 9-2320-272-20-7.

Which is about the only MWO that my M925a1 has on it.

The brakes have never given me any trouble what so ever or have I ever
felt like they were going to lock up at a sudden stop.

seya,

C'dub

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks