• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M929A1 Unloader Rebuilding - Is minor or major unloader kit required?

Rockafellar Deuce

So after a bunch of testing I have determined my unloader valve needs to rebuilt. My truck is really slow to pressure especially at idle. At driving RPMs it builds pressure just fine. Also, when I shutoff the truck I can hear air bleeding back into the air intake. Probably takes about 5 minutes or less for the primary tank to completely drain back into the air intake. So my question is, do I need a minor or major unloader rebuild kit for the Cummins #3018527 compressor (replaced by #3018534)?

I believe these are the correct kits.
Minor unloader kit... https://www.finditparts.com/products/363011/haldex-3559545k
Major unloader kit... https://www.finditparts.com/products/363015/haldex-3559551k

I'm hoping I only need the minor kit but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Minor kit should do you fine UNLESS there has been coolant through it and the seats are pitted. Use STP on the o-rings. You should get the water grommets for the coolant pipes because they will leak if they are hard. There should be a check valve at the inlet to the wet tank. If the valve is failed, it will do the same thing. Unsure if there is a dryer on yours, but if so, there should be a check valve at the inlet of the dryer, and it is FUBAR, same thing will happen. Simp should chime in for clarification.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
So after a bunch of testing I have determined my unloader valve needs to rebuilt. My truck is really slow to pressure especially at idle. At driving RPMs it builds pressure just fine. Also, when I shutoff the truck I can hear air bleeding back into the air intake. Probably takes about 5 minutes or less for the primary tank to completely drain back into the air intake. So my question is, do I need a minor or major unloader rebuild kit for the Cummins #3018527 compressor (replaced by #3018534)?

I believe these are the correct kits.
Minor unloader kit... https://www.finditparts.com/products/363011/haldex-3559545k
Major unloader kit... https://www.finditparts.com/products/363015/haldex-3559551k

I'm hoping I only need the minor kit but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
You could have a stopped up compressor discharge tube as well.

Air bleeding thru the intake is going to be a vent from either the axles or the parking brake valve

Rockafellar Deuce

Minor kit should do you fine UNLESS there has been coolant through it and the seats are pitted. Use STP on the o-rings. You should get the water grommets for the coolant pipes because they will leak if they are hard. There should be a check valve at the inlet to the wet tank. If the valve is failed, it will do the same thing. Unsure if there is a dryer on yours, but if so, there should be a check valve at the inlet of the dryer, and it is FUBAR, same thing will happen. Simp should chime in for clarification.
You were correct, I pulled it part and the minor should be all I need. Valve and seat were gummed up a but it came off pretty easily. Actually wouldn't have even needed the minor kit if I had realized you could pull the valve up through the top cap to clean.

Also mine does have an air dryer, though it seems to working properly. At least when I connected shop air to the inlet side of the dryer. Air moved through it fine and filled all the tanks quickly. Though I didn't remove the shop air, I just turned it off and the tanks all maintained 120 psi without leaking down. I don't remember seeing a check valve at the dryer inlet. Though it could be located on the frame rail. If the unloader valve cleaning doesn't work I will look for the check valve. Thanks for your help.

Rockafellar Deuce

Air bleeding thru the intake is going to be a vent from either the axles or the parking brake valve
I hooked up shop air at the compressor discharge line and it fills the tanks quickly, so I don't believe it it plugged. I will look into the parking brake valve and axles if the cleaning the unloader valve does not solve the problem.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you charged the system and nothing came back out the compressor discharge at the compressor, the check valve is fine

Rockafellar Deuce

Well I received the minor unloader kit yesterday and installed it. I'm still getting air bleeding back into the intake. The unloader seems to working as it should, nothing bleeding though there. I must have a leak coming from the axles or parking brake valve like you said. I will have to check them next.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks