• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931 A1 vs A2 ? ?

Nick620

I know a1 and a2 have been hashed out on here but what I haven't really found is comparison of performance specific to a 931 with a trailer. My local fire dept currently has an M970 tanker hooked to an OTR tractor. We are discussing replacing the tractor and and seriously considering going with a 931 (or 932).

Can anyone with practical experience tell me are there really any major performance differences between the A1 and A2? Is the A2 worth the extra expense or are both as good as the other? I have lots of experience with M35's (we have 5 A3's) but never ventured into 5 tons. Thanks!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
A2 will hold hills better at road speed. Power can be increased with more available mods on the A2s.

Offroad pulling the tanker the A1 will do more especially in high range where as the A2 will have to be in low range offroad with a loaded heil. A truck with dual tires will pull even harder offroad and have better stability

Shorter dual tires on an A2. Especially dual fronts give it a much better performance offroad and on hills

ROCKWELL-C60

I've had both a2 for the road a1 if offroad . My a2 wouldn't move at all taking off up any grade with my empty trailer (4 ton) in high range, and in low reverse is lock out so you end up going from hi to low trying to maneuver all the time. A1 will climb anything in hi range it's all about low end grunt.

Nick620

thanks guys! Sounds like the A1 better fits our needs. We often go off road into pastures and such to set up fill points. 95% of time will be gravel roads with some hilly terrain. We have reasonable expectations of what its limited off road capability would be but would be nice to be able to use ponds and such to refill tanker instead of just boat ramps at lakes.

Nick620

I've had both a2 for the road a1 if offroad . My a2 wouldn't move at all taking off up any grade with my empty trailer (4 ton) in high range, and in low reverse is lock out so you end up going from hi to low trying to maneuver all the time. A1 will climb anything in hi range it's all about low end grunt.
Would we be asking too much of M931A1 with the M970 (5000 gallons of water) ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks