• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931 battery wiring

D6c

I'd like to wire my M931 to use 2 batteries instead of 4. I have two good batteries and two bad ones and don't want to spend big$ for new ones.

I don't think it will have any trouble with cranking power...I use (2) group 31 batteries to start a D6 dozer without problems.

Anyway, check the attached sketches to make sure I've got the battery cables right.

Thanks

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks fine. I use two of the stud top 31's in my 931 and 915 and they crank the Cummins with no problems. The 6TL's will die on you at the worst possible moment with no warning.

D6c

Thanks NDT,
Truck has been sitting since last spring and I need to get it up and going.....Then I'll see if I can get it past the IA DOT's new regristration process.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to say the 12v heater connector is a negative lead, but I may be wrong. There are usually 2 more leads as well that are ABS related on most M939 trucks.

D6c

Quote: "There are usually 2 more leads as well that are ABS related on most M939 trucks. "

I was wondering what the other two wires were for....I'll have to be sure and get them hooked up right too.

D6c

Installed two batteries this afternoon....test meter showed 24v at starter. Tried cranking, but got nothing but solenoid clicks. Thought I found the problem....had loose wire on solenoid, but it didn't help.

I had the batteries all charged up and cleaned the cables, but I suppose the batteries could be weak.
Next I might trade out the batteries from my D6 since I know they're good.

They didn't do something wierd like wire the truck Pos ground did they?

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They didn't do something wierd like wire the truck Pos ground did they?
Are you related to Fuzzytoaster?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you have 4 bad batteries. If they all have the same date, you can count on it.