• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931A1 Questions before purchase

joesco

I am trying to do some homework before making my next purchase which is, hopefully going to be an M931A1 for a bob project. Does this model M-Series tractor have the Allison MT 654 transmission? Also, does it have a sprag front-end. Are there any issues that owners have had with these trucks? Thanks all!

Andy1234

I am trying to do some homework before making my next purchase which is, hopefully going to be an M931A1 for a bob project.
Does this model M-Series tractor have the Allison MT 654 transmission? Yes, it does.
Also, does it have a sprag front-end. No, it has an air actuated transfer case. There's no sprag.

Are there any issues that owners have had with these trucks? They ride like a Cadillac compared to the M809 series.

Thanks all!
Thanks,
Andy

Carlo

You cant go wrong buying one. I have a 931A1 and a 923A2. They look the same but one being a tractor the other a cargo but the big difference is the motors. The A2 has the new modern 8.3 cummins. Much much smoother. The A1 has the tried and tested 250 big block. No turbo but a real sump puller. Power is right there from idle on up. The 8.3 has big turbo lag and needs time to spool up. They share the same trans also.
Good luck and have fun!

GHall

I have a M932A1 and love it! Reliable and plenty of power with no load.. If you're not towing or hauling, lower the tire pressure a little and it rides very nice.

I know its a little off topic (sorry) but today was the first day I was able to drive my 932a2 a decent distance, finally registered it. These trucks are a blast!!! I did some county road driving (50 mph) and the truck held 55-60 mph around 2000rpm with no issues. Did some minor off-roading/trail riding, the truck loved it. Handled great and with the flip of the switch, 6x6 made the truck virtually unstoppable.

Csm Davis

Issues, check the tires, tighten but not to tight the battery terminals, remove the short driveshaft between the transmission and transfercase and clean out all the old grease in the slip and u-joints repack with good grease replace the bolts with new proper grade, think grade five, check the old ones to be sure. Use new washers and locktite them in, if this shaft or joints fail you will lose a transmission or transfercase unless you are very lucky. After that get your TM out and go through the systems one at a time as you can but the three things I listed would be first on my list. Hope you enjoy your new truck!

Carlo

Issues, check the tires, tighten but not to tight the battery terminals, remove the short driveshaft between the transmission and transfercase and clean out all the old grease in the slip and u-joints repack with good grease replace the bolts with new proper grade, think grade five, check the old ones to be sure. Use new washers and locktite them in, if this shaft or joints fail you will lose a transmission or transfercase unless you are very lucky. After that get your TM out and go through the systems one at a time as you can but the three things I listed would be first on my list. Hope you enjoy your new truck!
Great advise Jeff..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks