• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931A2 power steering pump rebuild

OhDuck22

I’ve searched the forum looking for an answer to this and haven’t been able to find it.

I got my first five ton yesterday. Drove it home 80 miles and had no power steering. When I turn the wheel the pump sounds like it’s grinding (like air in the fluid almost). I sporadically get power steering but it’s mostly just manual steering. I tried bleeding the system turning from lock to lock with no luck. I suspect the steering pump is no good based on the noise it’s making and the general lack of power steering. All grease fittings have been greased and there are no leaks and plenty of fluid in the system.

My question is: can the pump be rebuilt? Has anyone done it and where did you find the parts?

I’m going to start by taking it apart to see if there is anything obviously wrong or if the filter is clogged up. If I do have to replace the pump I’d rather rebuild than spend $500+ on a used one.

Scrounger

The pump may not be bad. It sounds as though there is a lot of air in the system. To properly bleed the system is best done with the front tires lifted off the ground. Turn the steering wheel hard left, holding on the stop for a few seconds. Then repeat to the right. It can take more than ten cycles to fully purge the air. Make sure the power steering reservoir never gets low, or you will have to start over.

OhDuck22

The pump may not be bad. It sounds as though there is a lot of air in the system. To properly bleed the system is best done with the front tires lifted off the ground. Turn the steering wheel hard left, holding on the stop for a few seconds. Then repeat to the right. It can take more than ten cycles to fully purge the air. Make sure the power steering reservoir never gets low, or you will have to start over.
Ok, I will try that. Thank you for your reply.

Now that I’ve asked the question, I’m still wondering if there is a rebuild kit available for the pump. After looking at more websites for pumps I found several that have core charges. That leads me to believe there is a rebuild kit or parts available.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks