• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M932A2 new owner

jwaller

does anybody have the right -34p for this thing?

I am in the process of trying to figure out somethings with it and I cant seem to manage without some literature.

it's got a complete front winch and hydro system and there is a filter base on the firewall on the pass side and I cant figure out what it's for. anybody have any good ideas and what the civy part number for such a beast would be?

also anybody have a pic of the dash in this thing? I am trying to get the right complement of gauges and I don't know whats supposed to be there.

it has an airbag rear suspension and so I am betting that it should have a pressure gauge for that but I'm not sure.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's the IP pic. Just the usual instruments, but the tach goes to 4000. Also has 2 air pressure gauges. The filter on the firewall is for the Allison. Mine has a PH8A filter, not sure if that is a legit cross . . . The airbag rears are unusual, most 900's are the usual camelback type. You will need all the TM's!!! Do you have antilock brakes? Was a MWO around 2001 due to rollovers . . . Some trucks did not get this and are NMC these days . . .

Attachments

jwaller

I'm working on getting the TM's. I know very little about it so far. dunno if it got the ABS upgrade or not. thanks for the pic. I found the dash in the tm but it wasnt much help.

Crash_AF

I have the electronic copy of the -24p but I don't think there's a 34p. I have the 936A2 and haven't come across anything that's not in the -24p yet.

The filter under the heater is the transmission filter (there's one in the trans too)

The gauges are:
Tach / Speedo / Engine Temp / Primary Air
Fuel / Oil Press / Tranny Temp / Secondary Air / Voltmeter

ABS would have a label with a light by the fuel gauge (the small black square in NDT's pic) or a soldier-made hole where it should be

Drop me a line and I'll send you the parts number/NSN list for the gauges since I've had to dig most of them up already.

If you want an electronic copy of the TMs, let me know and I'll shoot them to you. If you want hardcopies, I have the capability of printing them (new) for about $350 for ALL the -20s and -24p's (6 books, 2800+ pages of print)

Later,
Joe

jwaller

any idea of what the specs are on the trans oil pan drain bolt is? somehow the goobers that drained this thing didnt bother putting it back in.

Rattlehead

Here is what I have come up with so far. The cross reference section doesn't really allow me to post it there.

Oil Filter Fleetguard LF734

Fuel Filter Fleetguard FS1251

Trans Filter (spin-on) Fleetguard HF35323 (replaces HF35042 - obsolete)
(PH3519 in parts TM?)

Trans Filter (pan/gasket) Allison 29502302
Baldwin 19739
GMC 6834831

Hydraulic Winch Filter WIX 51467
(PF297 in parts TM)

Air Filter Military part only, same as M809. Do not use NewStar, which claims as replacement for Mil #11604545, but has hole in clean end and 1/3 of available element is shrouded by metal banding.

Other

Serpentine belt Goodyear #4080675 (8PK1715)
Zerostart block heater Zerostart P/N 8601860

I can confirm all of the above except the trans pan/gasket part numbers.

Here is a good place to get fleetguard filters.
http://www.wholesalemidwest.com/fleetguard.htm

I thought I posted this before but could not find it. It is written in a technical article on the old site.

http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&func=viewpub&tid=3&pid=63

Last edited:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The ABS light normally goes where your air suspension switch used to be. The engine looks good. I think one of the air lines from the fan clutch actuator is disconnected or missing. The banjo bolt looks to be missing from the output side of the fuel lift pump. The ether bottle and washer bottle look good. I can see one of the air lines hanging loose up to the left of the ether bottle. Looks like one of the ones that was hooked to the brake treadle valve. Someone swiped the starter too. Overall, it looks like a good truck. Very unique with the air bag suspension.

yeager1

This is the first 900 I've seen with an airbag rear suspension. How rare are they and what models had them? Was it just one branch, or a special application truck? Probably rides fairly nice (comparatively). Are they hard to find? With air brakes, some even anti-lock, an auto trans and airbags, this is probably one of the most modern and user friendly tactical trucks. Looks nice, I want one!

jwaller

it's very different from all the 900's I've seen. I've even seen another 932A2 that didnt have the air bags.

I dunno a correct count on how many have this but for the right price you can have this one. :-D

yeager1

Just curious, was this a GL truck? Is it original or does it look like an add-on (whether military or not)? I know 900's can be very price to fix/own, but still a great truck. Probably out of my price range for a toy that I have little to no real need for. Some additional pics of the rear airbags and linkage would be great. Has anybody ever seem one of these before?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone figured out why they would install air suspension on an M932A2 that just can't carry really heavy loads? I remember thinking about that when it came up. The truck cannot haul what an M915 can carry. I am not criticizing the truck; I love the 9 series. Just curious is all...

jwaller

Has anyone figured out why they would install air suspension on an M932A2 that just can't carry really heavy loads? I remember thinking about that when it came up. The truck cannot haul what an M915 can carry. I am not criticizing the truck; I love the 9 series. Just curious is all...
dunno myself. prob why there is only 2 of them.
I guess they figure if it can't haul much then why not do it comfortably. You and I both have wondered why even the std 932 without airbars has such a low rating. I think it's in error but who knows why some things are as they are. they just are.

Crash_AF

It might have been set up that way so that the truck could 'squat' in the rear to get under lower trailers. Could also have been to eliminate suspension shocks to a mission specific trailer with sensitive equipment inside.

I'd vote for the first one though, the 5th wheel height of the A1/A2 trucks makes normal trailers a beotch to hook up to I'm sure.

Later,
Joe

rorybellows

having driven these things in the army, i can attest they can and do carry more than theyre rated for. is it gonna get there fast? no. is the thing gonna run like **** after towing alot? probably. i fried a 925 motor dragging a fmtv uparmored tractor fifty miles in 110 degree heat. it was the fastest truck we had, and after that it was the slowest. i know its not the tractor, but basically the same thing. thats neat to see one with bags on it. does it dump too