• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M934A1 Expansible Van - VIN location & recovery questions

Bonte

(I hope this is the correct forum for my questions)

Greetings everyone!

So, I won the auction for a 1986 M934A1 back on 2/16 and just received my EUC approval a couple days ago. As it turns out, I was probably bidding against some of you guys (sorry!). I'm currently preparing for my trip up to Vermont from Maryland on Tuesday for the recovery.

Well, good news today! The site contact for GL was at the site today and gave it a jump, it started right up and he was able to move it forward and reverse (Awesome!) I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there are no crazy surprises when I get up there.

GL Link: 2320 - Trucks & Truck Tractors, Wheeled at Government Liquidation

So, my first question. The GL contact was not able to find the VIN number on the truck, he gave me the following number which he called an ID number. Are any of you familiar enough with the VIN numbering on this vehicle to tell me if this is in fact the VIN? Or, if you know where the plate is, he might be able to ask someone to check. I'll need the VIN to get a temp tag and insurance on the truck.

VIN? NLONUU C534-00757

As for my recovery list, I'm working hard to plan everything out in advance for as many scenarios that I can come up with. I'm unfortunately not able to take a lot of items with me as I'm heading up there in a Cesna. One thing I already know is that I will need to pick up some batteries to get it down here.

According to the TM, the battery is listed as a "6TN", is there an after market or substitute battery that I can acquire easily, or a temporary substitute that will get me home?

PS: If you have any advice to give, please share! This is my first MV and second truck, so I'm completely green here :)

Thanks!
Bonte

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first part of the VIN he gave you is the Army registration number. the "C534" identifies what type of vehicle it is, and the "00757" is the actual serial number. All together its only 15 characters, and since modern VIN's are 17, you could have some issues getting a title. But use the VIN for the temp tag and insurance.

Batteries - most any large truck batteries will do, lots of folks use group 31 batteries. I think this truck, as a five ton, may take four batteries to get hooked up, so purchase the cheapest that have 500-700 CCA's and take some wood to block them into the battery compartment for the trip. Anything else is above my pay grade!

Vintage iron

Man! that is a nice truck! Kicking myself for not buying it. Let us know if it is as clean as it looked on the auction. Check all the fluids before you get going and read the operators manual too. I would hate to see you damage that mint truck. I am in Boston if you need any recovery while in Mass.

Matt 617-650-2108

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would seem if all is right two batterys will do. I like the screw top ones. Hope you got the tools with the truck that unlocks the 4 square lockers on the two side if not then a wrench will do and the ratchett is a nice thing to have. If I rember counter clockwise opens the square locks on both sides. I need to put in the classified the boarding ladder hand rail kits I have for the box. Have fun

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks