• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 Boom cable replacement?

drone161

Hi, I'm new here and need help finding a replacement for Rear Main Boom Cable for my M936. What is the diameter and length? Where to purchase and price estimate? Also is it hard to replace? Thanks Calvin.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cable is 1/2". I do not have time to check the TM right now, but the TM's are here on SS if you want to check. They are at the top of the page.

tobyS

On one of gimpyrobb's links (after getting past his avatar), they call for a fiber core. While my crane has a lot more stick (51'), I use steel core and it has served me well for 24 years. Now it's time to remove it and turn it around as the hook end takes a set over time where it goes around the end pulley, making a few kinks that do not pass the pulley smoothly. That causes the drum coils to become loose and not reel up properly (I have to power down as well as up)...but is easily remedied by having a weight on it (or pull against it) as it's reeled back in after letting it out past the over-lapping part. I know my crane is different and is a direct pull (no block), but the winch is nearly identical. I also have 100' on the winch and 25' on the boom.

Yeah - I just did my m543a2 - basically the same bed with a multifuel and old m52 series cab - anyhow I used ~100ft of wire rope (IWRC extra improved plow steel with a steel core); I run 3 parts of line (off the tip of the boom, through the block shiv, back through the second boom shiv and then the fixed end back on the block.) I would stay away from fiber core unless you only plan on doing light duty stuff...

When I went to overhead crane inspection cert training the idea of fiber core rope in use still was laughed at...

You can put the electroline fitting on the end of bare rope that you get from any rigging or crane shop - although you might do well to buy a new electroline fitting as they are often near impossible to field strip if they have been assembled properly and loaded with any sort of significant weight...

When you strip back the rope and untwist the lays I find it works well to use a hose clamp to keep the lays from spreading too far (just remember to put the securing nut on the rope first ;) )

Good luck

Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks