• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 prototype or heavily modified?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You can do like @swiss did and put bows and a cover over the wrecker unit to keep it covered from the weather when not In use for a bit
I saw that not long ago. I think that would be a heck of a good plan! Especially to save the wear and tear on those hydraulic hoses. I have amanaged to replace about half of them so far... All looking like they had a pretty bad case of "sun rot".

I need to look around for a set of Bows.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Back in the day", ie., WWII, it was common practice for wreckers to be disguised as GS cargo trucks in convoys as they were high valued targets for straffing attacks. Bows and tilts (hoops and canvas) were carred for such occasions.

Also they wouldn't run as 'tail end charlie' which is the peace time practice (to pick up stragglers), that is why wreckers in NATO carry the green 'end of convoy' flag.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
"Back in the day", ie., WWII, it was common practice for wreckers to be disguised as GS cargo trucks in convoys as they were high valued targets for straffing attacks. Bows and tilts (hoops and canvas) were carred for such occasions.

Also they wouldn't run as 'tail end charlie' which is the peace time practice (to pick up stragglers), that is why wreckers in NATO carry the green 'end of convoy' flag.
Being at either end of a convoy would definitely be "bad mojo" for sure. I think the article that I saw from you mentioned the cover protecting the rubber hoses too. In my situation, that would be worth having for sure. Spent about a thousand bucks on rubber hoses and I still have more to do. :-(

I definitely need to find a cargo cover and some bows.

Funny that you would mention the wrecker at the end. Saw about 30 Marine vehicles from the Reserve Center headed out Highway 49 last week. A bunch of HMMWV's, and maybe a dozen 7-Ton Cargo trucks. There was a 7-Ton with a really big boom on the back was bringing up the rear...

fasttruck

Level winder for front winch seems to be missing. Most wreckers have a level winder or cable guide mounted on top of the front winch.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Level winder for front winch seems to be missing. Most wreckers have a level winder or cable guide mounted on top of the front winch.
Agreed. My truck does not have any sort of level winder on the front or the back of the truck.
There is a steel plate and very heavy springs on the boom winch.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Reference post 24 on deploying bows and cargo covers for disguise, this feature was also part of the 49C fuel truck.
I have found a set of bows and a tarp. Plan is to help protect the rubber hoses - as well as hiding it from above. Don't know that my truck (dang sure hope not!) will need to be camouflaged but it will be a neat add-on.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Progress!

The rotation manifold down in the belly of the crane finally passes electricity up to the Work Lights.
Rewired from the switch in the cab back to manifold, then cleaned the contacts and the power flows!

M936 WorkLightsOn!!.jpg M936 WorkLightsOn!.jpg

When I got the truck, there was one missing incandescent light. The "under boom" lamp wasn't there but the wire was! Got a new LED fixture in a box full of them that will end up somewhere. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks