• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 rear winch sear pin

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got the m936 and I was going through things and I noticed the rear winch sear pin was missing.

Has any one broken a sear pin on the rear winch before and were did you find the P/N and a replacement pin for it?

I looked in the TM's I have and it shows a key way and a set screw. My winch has a sear pin, see pics.
TM 9-2320-272-24P-2

I found part of the old pin in the bed of truck so I made one. Have not tried it so I do not know if it works or not.

Thanks!!

Attachments

Ord22

Those shear pins never hold up. thats why you may see alot of them missing out of the winches, because they always break. Nobody bother to replace them. They need a stronger shear pin.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those shear pins never hold up. thats why you may see alot of them missing out of the winches, because they always break. Nobody bother to replace them. They need a stronger shear pin.
Ord22, Thanks for the info.!!
:beer:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The gear center here in town told me just to use a grade 8 bolt on my front winch. Maybe that will work for you also ?

That is very very bad advise.

We've seen what a grade 8 bolt will do on the front winch(and PTO and transmission).

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking a grade 8 bolt is not a good idea. I made a pin out of soft steel like the old pin and put it in this morning, the winch ran ok with no load.
Now I can say it works.:)

Nonotagain

The shear pins are designed to protect the rest of the winch drive line parts once the maximum load is exceeded.

While their breakage is usually un-timely, they're doing what the were designed for, acting as a "fuse/circuit breaker" for the winch.

Until 2 years ago I'd never broken a shear bolt in any of my snow blowers. Then in a period of a week I broke three. Rather break a shear pin than a gear box.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say a bolt in the M936 winch would be fine. The hyd motor will only power the winch to about 1/2 capacity anyway so I don't think the motor has enough power to tear up the winch even if it wanted to.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The gear center here in town told me just to use a grade 8 bolt on my front winch. Maybe that will work for you also ?
I would suggest you read the -10 AGAIN and the WARNING that go along with shear pin use

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I can see rear shear pin breakage, not from overload but from slamming the winch into forward or reverse with the rpm UP instead of easing it in THEN raising the rpm, this WILL break or at least CRACK the shear pin which WILL fail when used.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put the new sear pin in that I made and the winch came to life.:grin:
Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited: