• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936A2 aftercooler removal

charlesmann

has it been successfully accomplished of permanently removing the aftercooler without installing an intercooler? Or would installing an intercooler be best? reading in the -10 TM, it says the aftercooler cools the air prior to entering the intake. Is coolant temp of 200+F cooler than the forced air out of the turbo? i don't see much use for the cooler, except being in the way, installing an intercooler would require a bit of modification, but it doesn't look to difficult.
Thoughts?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
has it been successfully accomplished of permanently removing the aftercooler without installing an intercooler? Or would installing an intercooler be best? reading in the -10 TM, it says the aftercooler cools the air prior to entering the intake. Is coolant temp of 200+F cooler than the forced air out of the turbo? i don't see much use for the cooler, except being in the way, installing an intercooler would require a bit of modification, but it doesn't look to difficult.
Thoughts?
Yes it is cooler than the air

Intercooler mod is easy with a RG31 mrap unit. This is a radiator, transmission oil cooler and intercooler unit combined. Takes about 4hours to modify and install it in a truck. Doing the intercooler piping and the engine inlet takes a little bit. Piping can be bought from jegs or summit easy enough

This also allows the transmission heat exchanger to be deleted and run at a much cooler temp thru the radiator/cooler unit.

I've done this modification on a NH855 truck. @profo has done it on a 927a2. We both have threads on it.

charlesmann

Yes it is cooler than the air

Intercooler mod is easy with a RG31 mrap unit. This is a radiator, transmission oil cooler and intercooler unit combined. Takes about 4hours to modify and install it in a truck. Doing the intercooler piping and the engine inlet takes a little bit. Piping can be bought from jegs or summit easy enough

This also allows the transmission heat exchanger to be deleted and run at a much cooler temp thru the radiator/cooler unit.

I've done this modification on a NH855 truck. @profo has done it on a 927a2. We both have threads on it.
that is what i thought, its been done, but couldnt for the life of me, find the thread.
Would you by chance have the nsn for the all in 1 cooler?

Its been nearly 10 yrs since i went to the mrap maint school at rrad, and we didnt cover all the systems, just enough to pass the writtens so we could go to the back shop units, where would have learned more. But didnt make it out of country.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
that is what i thought, its been done, but couldnt for the life of me, find the thread.
Would you by chance have the nsn for the all in 1 cooler?

Its been nearly 10 yrs since i went to the mrap maint school at rrad, and we didnt cover all the systems, just enough to pass the writtens so we could go to the back shop units, where would have learned more. But didnt make it out of country.
I have one for sale.

They sold a good many on govplanet this year but I've never seen any on ebay or any other surplus site.

Part # is R0063900

charlesmann

Out of curiosity. Would an intercooler out of 1 of these new model ram diesel pickups provide enough cooling volume for the 8.3? I got into a bumper bender and my intercooler has a minute ding in it and the body shop replaced it and gave my “old” cooler.
I pressure tested it and it held 60 psi for 24 hrs, so the ding didnt affect its operation.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Out of curiosity. Would an intercooler out of 1 of these new model ram diesel pickups provide enough cooling volume for the 8.3? I got into a bumper bender and my intercooler has a minute ding in it and the body shop replaced it and gave my “old” cooler.
I pressure tested it and it held 60 psi for 24 hrs, so the ding didnt affect its operation.
What are the measurements

charlesmann

Surface cooling area is 4” thick, 10” tall and 26” wide with 3 or 3.5” inlet/outlet tubes.
my initial use for the intercooler was for my tig torch and plumb in the coolant lines and rig up a dual 120v ac fan to help chill the torch coolant. But if it’ll work on the 8.3, even better.
if not, ill be getting 1 of them all in 1 units from you.

purple_duckk

I have one for sale.

They sold a good many on govplanet this year but I've never seen any on ebay or any other surplus site.

Part # is R0063900
Do you by chance still have it? I just got an M923A2 and I think the transmission cooler isn't working the best and if I'm going to replace it, why not replace it with something better?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks