• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 Series OnBoard Tools

Artisan

I am one of those guys who usually has what others do not.
A sickness perhaps? No less, it is what it is. So I am trying to
come up w/ a comprehensive set of tools so I can service
my truck on the road / make a reapair but on the other hand
I do not want to carry too much.

Stock the BII was a couple of crescent wrenches, a flat and phlipps
and a few other simples, but was / is there an NSN number perhaps
for a set of tools the senior mechanics would have carried?

Surely I would look for that set but if I could get a list of tools and
stuff that it conained it would surely be a help.

One more thing, all ALL FASTENERS / HARDWARE on my M925A1 SAE
and no metric at all?

TIA!

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "senior mechanic" set is called the GMTK or general mechanic's took kit. It comes in a cumbersome Pelican/Hardig case (newer) or "top chest" tool cabinet (older). For the 900 series, here is what I carry and have never had an issue: 1" drive impact with Budd socket and hose w/glad hand coupling, 1/2" drive impact with hose, 1/2 drive socket set, 3/8 drive socket set, combination wrench set, screwdriver set, hammer, chisel, allen wrench set, vise grip set. I keep the tools loose in a canvas bag in the cab, and stow the impacts in the OVM boxes on the truck. All tools are inch.

Artisan

Gosh the voices of experience are so awsome, and welcomed...

NDT so you carry a 1" Drive Impact AND a 1/2" Drive?

I wonder how many ft-lbs are necessary to break loose and or are more needed to tighten lug nuts?

Funny you say about the duck tape on the floor drgreg. I figured
that out at an Arby's somewhere around Seattle first drive in it when I
headed North from Brad M's ranch... Great minds think alike! HA!

Any other adds guys? ( I need to start looking for that set to see whats in it, anyone
know the NSN # for the GMTK ? )

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Google GMTK for all kinds of info including the NSN. The 1" drive is for lug nuts only, to loosen and tighten. The 1/2" impact will not budge those. The 1" drive impact is nearly essential if the lugs were previously tightend with an impact.

emr

Man for allot less than that, I have a robo impact,a geared lug wrench , 6 - 7 ton floor jack stands ,2 -8 ton bottle jacks , wrench set from 1/4 inch to 2 and a half inch, a 3/4 in drive set up to 2 and a half inchs, complete screw driver set, complete mil surplus all pliers that they have from shows, a medium tow bar and feet with axle clamps , a light tow bar , a tow light set, correct tow chains, and allot of other stuff, Yeesh as good as that box looks, it sure is skimpy...

Artisan

emr what do the "correct" tow chains look like? Are you talking safety chains?

I have been trying to figure out what is recommended by the book for safety chains
if let's say one 939 series is pulling another.

emr

emr what do the "correct" tow chains look like? Are you talking safety chains?

E]

I have the correct chains you would find carried on a hemmtt, sorry for implying for the 5 ton, i meant Military issue :) They are big and awesome , I keep 4 in the back, As for the safety chains, I would have to think since mine were from a wrecker hemmtt that thats what they are, they are at least 5/8s or maybe 3/4 about 10 to 12 ft with loops both ends and a hook on one, they are what they use here for both a fast tow or safety chain hook up, , This is my best answer , but not an official mil answer on safety chains..just what I see being done around here.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks