• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M989A1 Drop Side Trailer? Availability and Usefulness?

61sleepercab

I have been watching auctions of M989A1 trailers from Washington and Georgia. Neither site is close to my home base of West Virginia.

First question is How common are the trailers at sites in Ohio, Virginia,Kentucky, and Pennsylvania ?

Second question is How do they handle behind a 5 ton? a duece?

Third question is Has anyone towed one empty with caged brakes with a ton or ton and a half truck as a tow vehicle?

My hobby is gas engine displays at shows and grist milling displays and the low sided trailer would be perfect for a good display for the public to see the equipment running.

Any advice welcome! Thanks Mark

91W350

One of our customers towed a pair about 250 miles behind his deuce. He said the deuce made better fuel mileage than his M915 or his five tons and had no trouble towing them. I saw a S-10 pickup pulling one at Interstate speeds on I70. That I would not recommend, but he got it done. I have moved them around the yard with my 3/4 ton, no problem, I would not want to hit the road without brakes though. Glen

tractors0130

I seen a couple of M931's pulling 2 of these trailers down the interstate after leaving Ft. McCoy running between 60 & 65 mph. They were pulling nice and straight, don't think I would try this with anything smaller than a 5 ton because of the weight.

61sleepercab

Thanks for the information on the towing abilities of these trailers. I use the gas engines and grist mill within a 50 mile radius of my home so towing in use would not be bad. Travel half away across the country for one is what hangs me up.

Question: How rare are the critters in the auctions? Do any make it inland?

Thanks Mark