• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 6.2L 3speed Important Spare Parts for Road Trip

Lit_Armo

Hi everyone I have an M998 1987 4 man Humvee, with a 6.2L 3 Speed, and was wondering what spare parts could I buy right now incase something happens on the road. I have a scissor jack and will get a spare tire soon. I've checked and I have V belts on, but how many and which models should I get? And what else could I need? Thank you!

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of what you might need can be found at O'Reilly and similar places. It's more likely that you'll need something you don't have with you, no matter how well prepared you are.

My 1986 M998 has been driven thousands of miles all over the country and never needed anything.

A spare, a jack, a basic tool set, and some $ just in case are all I carry in the hmmwv.

Attachments

Lit_Armo

Most of what you might need can be found at O'Reilly and similar places. It's more likely that you'll need something you don't have with you, no matter how well prepared you are.

My 1986 M998 has been driven thousands of miles all over the country and never needed anything.

A spare, a jack, a basic tool set, and some $ just in case are all I carry in the hmmwv.
Thank you, I appreciate the advice!

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All axles. 2 spare tires. Lots of water. Sat phone or sat text device. 24 volt inverter with plug in air pump. ATF. Camera to send us pics. Matches in watertight container. Dried food. Blankets. Knife. Fix a flat plugs and rubber plugs.

Lit_Armo

All axles. 2 spare tires. Lots of water. Sat phone or sat text device. 24 volt inverter with plug in air pump. ATF. Camera to send us pics. Matches in watertight container. Dried food. Blankets. Knife. Fix a flat plugs and rubber plugs.
Thank you for the advice! For the 24volt inverter with plug in air pump, do you have any models Im seeing the 24volt power inverters in different watts and amps, and not seeing ones with a plug in air pump?
Here’s a pic of my ride :)
1987 M998 Cargo/Troop Carrier

Attachments

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
with the replacement axles also add new bolts for the axles. More than one vehicle has gotten stuck when the halfshaft bolts backed out and sheared off.
Checking all the bolts with a torque wrench before you go will also be very beneficial.

Lit_Armo

with the replacement axles also add new bolts for the axles. More than one vehicle has gotten stuck when the halfshaft bolts backed out and sheared off.
Checking all the bolts with a torque wrench before you go will also be very beneficial.
To confirm, these are the bolts?

KIT, HALFSHAFT MOUNTING BOLTS & WASHERS (EACH) [PRE-APPLIED LOCTITE]

Found it on HPG site.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To confirm, these are the bolts?

KIT, HALFSHAFT MOUNTING BOLTS & WASHERS (EACH) [PRE-APPLIED LOCTITE]

Found it on HPG site.
Yes, those are them. You are technically overtorqueing them compared to their rating, so a lot of people recommend you replace them every time you do anything.
Some people recommend NordLock washers instead of split ring, but that's a personal choice.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:

A cell phone and AAA membership for a tow. Just let them know you need a standard flatbed - it will fit. But if you are stuck off road, best to go with some buddies that can drag you out as AAA won't do off road recoveries.

Lit_Armo

:ditto:

A cell phone and AAA membership for a tow. Just let them know you need a standard flatbed - it will fit. But if you are stuck off road, best to go with some buddies that can drag you out as AAA won't do off road recoveries.
Appreciate it I just remembered I have Hagerty nationwide and they have an included road club 20mile tow service

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the advice! For the 24volt inverter with plug in air pump, do you have any models Im seeing the 24volt power inverters in different watts and amps, and not seeing ones with a plug in air pump?
Here’s a pic of my ride :)
1987 M998 Cargo/Troop Carrier
Two separate items.
-Plug in air pump 110 Volt
-24 Volt to 110V inverter