• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 hmmwv brake noise and vibration

Bolger

Hey gang,
I've got a 1992 M998 humvee and I'm not sure what's going on with the brakes. When the engine heats up and I hit the brakes I get a loud noise and vibration. As far as I can tell with the info I have this is caused by low power steering pump reservoir. I've checked the level and it was a little low. I added and drove around and had the same symptoms. i'm not sure if I caused this when I replaced the drive belts because I had to disconnect the hydraulic line going to the clutch fan. Would anyone be able to point me in the correct direction thank you!

85 USMC M998

I don't think disconnecting the clutch fan hose has anything to do with it. I have had mine off several times an have no issues. Wish I could offer a idea for the brake noise but would need more info. Is the noise coming from the brakes or do you think from the power steering pump?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You said the problem occurs when the engine heats up. Are you saying that when you first start the engine and before it warms up, the brakes work fine and there is no noise or vibration?