• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998/HMMWV REPLACEMENT BATTERIES

Iambiig

Looking for replacement batteries for my M998. It currently has the Walmart Maxx 34 series installed. Trying to avoid the 6TL's I see that Deka has an interesting deep cycle marine battery at 800 CCAs. It is about 1.5 inches taller and 2.25 wider. Or should I just stay with the Walmarts?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking for replacement batteries for my M998. It currently has the Walmart Maxx 34 series installed. Trying to avoid the 6TL's I see that Deka has an interesting deep cycle marine battery at 800 CCAs. It is about 1.5 inches taller and 2.25 wider. Or should I just stay with the Walmarts?
I always tell people it depends on how you plan to use the truck.

If it's going to stay pretty much always on roads and within cell phone/tow truck range, then run whatever you feel comfortable with. 650+CCA and a decent reserve capacity is all you need in all but the most extreme conditions.
While I personally don't like the Walmart brand batteries (mostly because of their cheaper line of batteries that I've seen failures on) they do work, and are easy to get replacements for.

If you take it off road a lot, camping, or places outside cell/tow truck coverage, then a good set of AGM batteries are my recommendation.
Personally I use a set of group 24 AGM batteries made by one of the best manufacturers in the U.S., because I use my truck for work, camping, playing off road, and off road vehicle recovery, so I wanted something good.

Also, deep cycle marine batteries are a dual purpose, so unless you like to run a lot of accessories and stuff off the batteries while the truck isn't running, there isn't any benefit to them over a regular starting battery.

Here's what I use. Kind of expensive compared to regular flooded cell batteries, but much better quality and much better vibration and corrosion resistance. (the price is up about $100 from when I bought them 3 years ago, but even the cheap batteries are up 50% or so in price compared to back then)

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
one thing though, you don't want batteries that are any taller than the 6T series. Too tall and they don't fit properly under the seat base/battery box cover, and you increase the risk of shorting them out or damaging them.
6T is 9" high, so nothing taller than that.

Iambiig

Yeah, I am not a big fan of the Walmart's either, but they do work. The truck is an "around towner" so getting stuck isn't really the issue. The Walmart's only last a couple of years. Was looking to se if there were less maintenance ones without breaking the bank. The X2's look interesting.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yeah, I am not a big fan of the Walmart's either, but they do work. The truck is an "around towner" so getting stuck isn't really the issue. The Walmart's only last a couple of years. Was looking to se if there were less maintenance ones without breaking the bank. The X2's look interesting.
Look around... If you happen to have an Interstate Battery store in your town, sometimes you can find "blems" (blemmished) batteries on the cheap.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The X2's are manufactured by NorthStar, which was purchased a few years back by EnerSys, which also owns the Odyssey brand battery as well. They are probably the single best battery manufacturer in North America. They are a big name in off grid and standby batteries, and I have no reservations about recommending them if you can afford them/justify the cost.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you use the search function on here? Literally probably dozens of threads on this....

try one of the latest

Iambiig

Did you use the search function on here? Literally probably dozens of threads on this....

try one of the latest
I actually did use the search function first, but too much jibberish. Wanted to start a new thread right to the point.

papakb

One of the secrets that Interstate doesn't want you to know is that as the battery supplier to Costco (at least here in California) they take back any batteries Costco has warranty replaced. Costcos warranty simply replaces any battery that gets returned to them. They don't do any testing, simply replace it. So if you're the typical Costco mechanic that changes out a battery today and it goes dead tomorrow because your alternator has died, Costco just replaces it and returns it to Interstate. Interstate then checks the battery for charging and capacity and if it passes their tests they will remove the labels and resell it at a steep discount in their stores. I recently bought a pair of 51Rs for my jeep for $38 each. They were 2 weeks old according to the sticker on the top of the battery.

So my recommendation is to check with your local Interstate store and see if they don't have a couple 24Fs available. Mine have been running for about 3 years now without any problems and they will fit in the original battery holddown bracket. They are about 1/2" shorter but that's not a problem.

Last edited:

Eslurf

No hold down and 65 group sideways sounds like a receipe to bounce around and ground out.

24 will fit the bottom tray indentation and allow oe hold down.

Ymmv but can not recommend this is a safe substitute.
I did get tie downs. It just took an extra two days to get from Amazon. I had blocks packed in there to keep ‘em from moving till then. :)

Reactions: OBX
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks