• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 Overhaul Plate Identification

GMVguy

Hello, I am trying to figure out exactly what was included in the "overhaul" on my M998. Here's a picture of the plate, indicating that the vehicle was overhauled at M.M.A. on 8/07. What would have been done in the overhaul, and what/where is "MMA"?

Thanks!

Overhaul.jpg

GMVguy

Awesome, thanks guys. I got the MWO's, but am trying to find out what was done in the "Overhaul". Engine, driveline, etc. Anyone familiar with the standard procedures and what constitutes putting an Overhaul plate on a M998?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im amazed that there was still a M998 without the parking brake and PS cooler MWO's still not done in 2007.....

but going back to the original question, the only people that know that answer are in Maine.. I'd call them.. Cant hurt.

Last edited:

greenjeepster

In the civi world we call it a "glider" when an old truck gets sent in for complete overhaul. Only it also resets the year of manufacture on the title to the year that the glider was performed. Essentially any thing that still meets spec for a new truck gets re-used and anything worn gets replaced.

GMVguy

In the civi world we call it a "glider" when an old truck gets sent in for complete overhaul. Only it also resets the year of manufacture on the title to the year that the glider was performed. Essentially any thing that still meets spec for a new truck gets re-used and anything worn gets replaced.
Interesting, thanks. Is there anything that would be placed on the vehicle that would identify it as a 2007, rather than a 1987, for registration and identification purposes? Or should I proceed with registering it as a 1987?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They didn't as a standard practice replace the data plate on reset...I have an m1035 reset in 1993, it has the original data plate. And for many reasons...you want it as old as possible, newer is not better. Registration fees, insurance, titling for Historical...

GMVguy

They didn't as a standard practice replace the data plate on reset...I have an m1035 reset in 1993, it has the original data plate. And for many reasons...you want it as old as possible, newer is not better. Registration fees, insurance, titling for Historical...
Wise advice, thanks!

greenjeepster

Yes you definitely want to keep the original year of manufacture. Highway safety standards only apply to vehicles that are newer than 25 years, and many states have similar rules. Also if you are using it as a display for parades and such you may want classic plates due to cost reasons.

GMVguy

Yes you definitely want to keep the original year of manufacture. Highway safety standards only apply to vehicles that are newer than 25 years, and many states have similar rules. Also if you are using it as a display for parades and such you may want classic plates due to cost reasons.
Makes sense, thanks. The only problem I have with this is that an 87 is almost considered a classic now! Those were the days!!!

GMVguy

Here's an update in case it helps anyone else who has a HMMWV that went through the R&R program. I spoke with Maine and got some info:

They installed a new factory GM 6.5 engine. Transmission is new as well. All other components were remanufactured. It was a M998 2man and it was converted to a M998 4man when it left back in 2007. Complete frame off refurbishment. Frame was blasted and painted as well as rust coated.

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's another code from Limestone, ME....if anyone here can figure out what it means....thanx... overhaul humvee 9.2320.280.35.2 - done in 09/2001

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks