• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 Project: "Tech-V (?)"

15N AVI 998

G'mornin' all.....

I've had my 998 for about 3 yrs now and the mods I've planned are finally starting to make a good bit of headway in regards to development with some close to completion. I sling wire for a living as an aircraft electronics technician which has given me all sorts of ideas for mods to install in my rig (the challenging part is gonna be keeping my misses from laying claim to it).

Below is a list of the projects in the works (pictures included as well for some):
Overhead switch panel (partially constructed with wiring in process)
External area lighting (most lights mounted with wiring to be completed with install of overhead switch panel)
12 VDC power converter ( 60 Amp currently mounted and partially wired to a PDP)
-Laptop mount installed awaiting power supply connection and GPS cable installation completion (small puck installed on roof)
-12 VDC (cigarette lighter power outlets installed in B-bow upright supports)
-5 total dual port USB power outlets to be installed
110-120 power inverter (outlets currently installed in B-bow upright supports)
Coms: TBD
-TOCNET system components acquisition currently in process
-Eyeballing CB and Ham options

I guess with all this being listed and having seen some of the things others have done with their vehicles here and elsewhere, I'm posting to see what some may recommend in terms of additions/alternatives. I still have a decently long list of wants and desires such as front and rear winches, serpentine belt modification, ECV style front with extended radiator, overdrive trans (preferably non-computerized), and turbo, along with a more stout mode of frontal protection ( I like both, the MilSys Group styled, and IbisTek front bumpers).

Soooo, standing by..........

Attachments

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G'mornin' all.....

I've had my 998 for about 3 yrs now and the mods I've planned are finally starting to make a good bit of headway in regards to development with some close to completion. I sling wire for a living as an aircraft electronics technician which has given me all sorts of ideas for mods to install in my rig (the challenging part is gonna be keeping my misses from laying claim to it).

Below is a list of the projects in the works (pictures included as well for some):

I guess with all this being listed and having seen some of the things others have done with their vehicles here and elsewhere, I'm posting to see what some may recommend in terms of additions/alternatives. I still have a decently long list of wants and desires such as front and rear winches, serpentine belt modification, ECV style front with extended radiator, overdrive trans (preferably non-computerized), and turbo, along with a more stout mode of frontal protection ( I like both, the MilSys Group styled, and IbisTek front bumpers).

Looks good.

What brand/source did you use for the USB and Cig Lighter ports? I've tried a few but they failed due to poor construction. Would like to replace them.

Bulldogger

15N AVI 998

I can't remember the brand name of the USB outlets off hand. I just searched, "offroad USB port outlet" on that overly famous auction bay site. As for the lighter outlets I just went to a local auto parts store and made modifications as necessary so they would work in their mounting location. The uprights attached to the B-bows are a 1/4" thick on their main face, so they're almost dual purpose in supporting electronics goodies, and being semi-structural.

Hopefully that helps some...

15N AVI 998

Progress update:

Began termination and routing of RF, serial, and ethernet cabling. Instead of tying all of the cables together the full length of the run, I've decided to partially wrap them in spiral wrap to allow them to flex and slide between/past each other when the laptop mount is turned.
Began termination and routing of power cabling for the 12 VDC power converter (pictures to be added later).

Attachments

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have all wires for com system part, and maybe a headset.....its all in storage in Texas, and I won't be there until 1 to 2 weeks..
Has small main control box.
It tested fine early this year.

15N AVI 998

Lemme know what ya would need for it in a private message and we'll go from there. I'll have to talk with my CFO as we're currently hunting a set of usable hard doors so that we can keep everything somewhat locked up, since we live in suburbia with a bunch of overly curious kids.

Helo Driver

Are those black brackets mounting the radio try to the dash your own fab work or is that how it’s actually mounted. Also would you mind posting a picture of how you mounted the uprights?

Valor

G'mornin' all.....

Overhead switch panel (partially constructed with wiring in process)
External area lighting (most lights mounted with wiring to be completed with install of overhead switch panel)
12 VDC power converter ( 60 Amp currently mounted and partially wired to a PDP)
-Laptop mount installed awaiting power supply connection and GPS cable installation completion (small puck installed on roof)
110-120 power inverter (outlets currently installed in B-bow upright supports)
Coms: TBD
-TOCNET system components acquisition currently in process
-Eyeballing CB and Ham options

Second picture from the left, what is that above the silver finned box? Is that the PDP and what is a PDP. If that is a power distribution box, where did you source that? Thank you.

15N AVI 998

To Helo Driver:

The black brackets between the radio shelf and dash are original to the shelf. There was a rifle barrel clamp attachment on one which is one of the reasons I purchased it. I just drilled and cut the holes for the USB power outlets. I'll get a picture of the upright attachment points when I get back from a family breakfast run. I'm assuming you're wanting to see the uprights for the B-bow?

To Valor:

Yes, the part just forward and left of the silver finned unit (60 amp, 12 volt power converter), is the PDP, or power distribution point. I'd seen it on flebay and since it has an integrated ground block, went for it since it further simplifies wiring.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are those black brackets mounting the radio try to the dash your own fab work or is that how it’s actually mounted. Also would you mind posting a picture of how you mounted the uprights?
Those black brackets are : 4660716, and 4660717....made of steel and hard to find.
There is an aluminum type that also extends the radio tray... : 12460542-2

15N AVI 998

To Helo Driver:

My apologies for the delay in posting, but here are the pics for the upper attachment points of the B-bow uprights. The lower is similar in that the same quantity hardware is used, just shorter to accomodate the channel in the lower crossmember.

Three bolts could probably be used, instead of the four I went with. I just wasn't sure of how future mods and reconfiguring events may effect things.

Attachments

15N AVI 998

Hey all, I realized I've not been the greatest about keeping up with posting about my mods. For those that may be interested, there's been a lot of progress in the last few months between all the hectic activity of traveling and such with contracting.

Here's a summary of all that's been completed:
Cup holders!
Overhead auxiliary switch panel
Interior and exterior lights and associated wiring
Driver Laptop and Co-driver Tablet docs installed with associated power and network cabling
Ethernet switch in conjunction with cellular internet router with associated RF and ethernet cabling
-allows all occupant postions to run devices through a network connection via hardline or wifi
Powered gps splitter to provide signal to the driver laptop and cellular internet router
Secondary power converter and distribution blocks
Rear 12 volt power sockets and USB power outlets (in the B bow uprights)
CB radio with associated power and RF cabling (awaiting antenna mounting for completion and testing)

Remaining items:
AC power inverter
200 amp alternator upgrade
Winches-Front and Rear

I'll get pictures posted as soon as I can. If anyone has any questions or recommendations to improve the mods, feel free.

15N AVI 998

Pics to go with my previous posting.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks