• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 soft doors - repair or replace?

Mario

I'm still looking for 2 soft doors in like new condition because both front windows are either cracking or are marred up from being folded behind the sloping door support and the black scuff marks are not coming off.

Wire Fox

Well, after reading about the Meguiar's PlastX , I fired up the Humvee and went and got a bottle, this stuff is great, I tried with a rag but quickly used my 3' polisher.
I spent about 10 mins per window, I did the insides and out
I took before and after pics, nearly every mark came off, I have to give this stuff [thumbzup]
View attachment 678968View attachment 678969View attachment 678973
My exact reaction, while sitting alone in my room: "Good God! That looks great!" Thanks for showing me that polishing actually makes a difference on these.... That will definitely save me from making a whole new rear curtain window.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those of you that are not familiar with polishing, this is the same principle as polishing the paint job on a car.
Step 1, take a wet rag and clean the windows
Step 2, do only one side of the window at a time, heat is the enemy here, you will feel the warmth on the window when you start polishing.to much heat will cause distortion. do all of the iside , the move back to the outside of the first door.
Step 3, take it easy until most of the grime is off, low speed and low pressure until you see a shine on the plastic
Step 4, buy the second or third pass, you can speed it up for the final shine
Use a polishing foam, different companies have different colors, use a soft foam ,nothing abrasive, don't use a wool pad
Also keep a wet rag to remove the splatter on the doors, compound has a way of leaving mark if you leave it until it dries

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing to add, after all of that work, I was thinking of a way to protect the windows from the side bars in the door that leave the angled marks
I was at the local HD and got this for $3.00, it's spiral wrap that is used for electrical wiring
There is enough in the package to do all for doors, I secured it with electrical tape at each end, and hopefully, the side bar marks won't come back
IMG_1611.JPGIMG_1610.JPG

ryanruck

One thing to add, after all of that work, I was thinking of a way to protect the windows from the side bars in the door that leave the angled marks
I was at the local HD and got this for $3.00, it's spiral wrap that is used for electrical wiring
There is enough in the package to do all for doors, I secured it with electrical tape at each end, and hopefully, the side bar marks won't come back
View attachment 679601View attachment 679602
I like that for a simple solution!

I was actually considering wrapping mine with paracord. Probably a lot more time consuming than that.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have para-cord on my grab handles, great stuff, just wondering if the dust or sand get's into the cord, will it be abrasive and mark the windows ?
The spiral wrap is a soft plastic, like the windows, at least you can just wipe them down at the same time you clean the windows

Time will tell, the goods news is that this site offers so many option, i'm getting addicted LOL
On to the next project

Mario

I was thinking of using thin pipe insulation. That black foam with peel tape that we're supposed to wrap exposed water pipes in the basement.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Mario

Another thought would be to find rubber hose the correct diameter, split it lengthwise and slide it over the metal bar.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks