• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MadDawg's weekend hard at work

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, Gumby is in the shop, getting some much needed brake work done to it. I have neither the time, patience, or knowledge to work on brakes, much less so if they have been sitting for many years. Also, while in the shop my mechanic found a plug in the oil lines, causing the pressure to peg off the charts and blow the oil filter off the block. Will keep everyone informed of the progress. He says he should have it all done by Thursday, so the following week I can work on sanding priming, painting and reassembly. So, Gumby may be ready for Rausch Creek in October!

Spent most of yesterday fooling with the M35A2 winch truck's wiring, replacing a couple connectors and trying to figure out why the horn won't work. Not sure about that one yet. The solenoid is good, air is getting to the horn, so it's either the wiring, the horn itself, or the horn switch in the steering wheel.

Also sanded some of the rust spots on the truck, primed and painted with Base 4 paint from Lowe's. It's not like Gillespie, but hey - the military guys just brushed on the last paint job, I figure brush on touch ups are better than rust spots. Got all the nooks and crannies on the bed that were getting rust peels.

Here's some pics of the paint touch-ups:

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also took the side boards for the non-winch deuce and sanded them down to almost bare oak, they looked REALLY nice, bet a full resto with the oak boards would be snazzy. BUT, wanted to stay with the green motif, so sanded, primed and painted. Here's the before, during, and after pics.

Sorry about the shadows in the second pic - painting under the trees is great in cool weather, but the shadows on the white primer are godawful....

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Mike it is looking good I wish I could come down again and lend a hand. I really enjoyed working with you on the ambulance. Are you back from Gilbert yet? havent heard from anyone on how it went.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
David, Gilbert is next weekend. Maddawg, Is that log in the last picture your workbench? You are in the woods! Looking good. Motorpool paint jobs rule!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Eric:
Sorry for the good up my clock is all messed up just getting through the Typhoon that swept over Korea. Man can it rain. I like to local paint jobs too much like the real Army.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the thumbs ups, guys.

AM30Y+ - Gilbert PA is next weekend, this is the truck I'm taking up there. Need to change the oil and get it inspected before I go, I plan on doing that Thursday. Gumby is going through a couple fix-it problems at the shop. When it's done, it will be ready to paint and reassemble.

Doghead - as for the log, not really. These are pics from my friend's place, he has more land, and the log was a convenient paint can table. I have more tools than he does, though, so I often have to bring piles of tools in the back of my truck over to his land to work on my trucks. Go figure.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Mike:
Don't forget the tools I lugged up to your place to work on Gumby. That chilly night was fun and I like loading up a selection of tools to do a job part of the mystique of a road call.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks