• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Made is home with the new Deuce

Dblbeard

Drove my new deuce from Atlanta all the way home to Greenwood SC. Most of it on I85.

My 11 year old stuck in there with me on the trip home while my oldest took the company car
home easy way. Trying to get use to the manual steering and brakes was something to do on the Interstate.
With the 53's we made good time at about 65mph though.
I would have done real good if it wasn't for Atlanta's Sandy Springs City Police Department's speed trap in I285
while I was on the way down there. I was paying attention to the GPS which was showing and Exit on the left just as I got onto 285 so I got up to speed with traffic with was 80-82mph at that point but I saw a green Exit sign coming up on the right and needed to ease in front of the tractor trailer on my right , just as I eased in front of him he got me with the lazer at 86/55 even though traffic was running at 80-82mph anyway. Springs City Policman Lazered me at 86 in a 55 all because I saw a green exit sign and new I needed to see it and just eased in front of a tractor trailor truck and he was waiting. I sure would appreciate the traffic police giving me a break sometimes. I've got only 2 points against me but if they want to they can really stick it to me.
Are there any Georgia Sandy Springs Brothers out there that can help a brother out?.

I don't mind the fine, but with two teenage drivers I can't afford any points on my drivers licence.

Deuce3.jpg

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck getting any relief on the ticket. I didn't get any when they caught me in a known (not to me) speed trap in Bennettsville, SC in Sept and when he gave me the ticket he handed me a folded piece of paper and said if I sign it and give the town $200 they would not report me to Ohio. Look up the definition of extortion......

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the truck, it looks great. 30 over the speed limit is a little tough to defend. In the area I live if you change your plea in court to no contest, 99% of the time they withhold adjudication (no points) and assess court costs. In your case it would be a gamble as most magistrates would see 30 over as flagrant. I refuse to exceed 9 over any longer regardless of what the next guy is doing, no points in 25 years.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have a love hate relationship with 285.

On one hand, it's fast. Like the OP said, the flow of traffic is really about 80mph. I like going fast, so I have no problem with that. Most of the time, you get lucky and since everyone is going 80ish, as long as you're in the crowd and not changing lanes, you're just going with the flow. I have passed/been passed by plenty of cops on 285 going 75-85mph and they didn't even look at me.

On the other hand, this presents two problems: the cops don't do much do try to slow folks down, because it leaves them a very fertile hunting ground when they are broke/need to meet quota. Also, it's one thing in a modern car. In a 52mph deuce, it's the suck.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Mike. If they give you any time off from the MKT we'll swap stories. I have one from the Atl beltway.

;-)

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck! you must have been thinking about the ticket in the picture, you don't look happy!

I'm down near Columbia, and I have family in Greenwood.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of my business partners got a ticket for a little snow covering the license plate, on my truck, and we disputed it just last week. Up here we go to the Crown Prosecutor (CP), sit in a room, discuss our position and the CP decides if we were more right then the Law Enforcement Officer(LEO). We had pictures, he had pictures, we apologized for being lazy and not removing the inch of snow....that was not obscuring the plate...... and he threw the ticket out.

If you had the CP we talked to he would have reduced your ticket, dropped the points and probably tell you not to speed. The kinda guy that told it like it was. It was a good experience for us so it'll be interesting to see how it works out for you. Let us know.

Typically, we get away with 10% up here... 110 kph in a 100kph zone, 55kph in a 50kph zone however I walked away from a ticket doing 60mph on a 50mph highway.

He got me coming towards him and I was already late for a meeting with a City Project Manager the Architect and my Manager.

As he pulled me over:

I rolled my window down as I was stopping.
I stopped in an area that was Safe for the officer to get out of his car.
I put my hands on the top of the steering wheel (to be visible to LEO) .

He asked for my reg and ins. I told him where it was and I needed to reach for it. He nodded, I moved.

He asked why I was speeding. I told him why and began the rant about how stupid I was thinking my next meeting was more important then following simple road rules.
I continued by apologizing for simply wasting his time and essentially forcing him to pull me over because I was being an idiot and had it coming.
Then I said, " I actually really got to thank you. the instant I saw the flash of Red and Blues I started re-thinking how friggin stupid I've been taking chances like this. It's really time I slow down." "I'm friggin stupid, sorry we had to meet this way."

NO TICKET

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks