• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maintenance/inspection weekend.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy all,

I just brought the deuce home from Sparta WI last Tuesday, as some of you may have read. This weekend I figured I would go over the brakes of the truck and make sure everything checks out OK. I pulled all 6 hubs and inspected the brake pads and wheel cylinders. Happily, everything checked out great, no leaks and new pads (or at least newer pads) all the way around. Repacked all of the bearings and slapped it all back together. I adjusted all of the brakes according to the TM and then build a pressure bleeder, with about $25 worth of stuff from the hardware store. I bought a 1 gallon garden sprayer, 3 feet of nylon 1/4 inch tubing, a barb fitting, some 3/8" spring clamps to hold everything secure, and an air line coupler set to connect it up the the cap of the master cylinder. I bled out all of the brakes and adjusted the pedal free travel, and now that pedal is rock solid (at least with the truck sitting with no air assist) I can't imagine that the air would affect the pedal too much, but I'll start her up later on and try it out.

Only one minor hiccup along the way, the keyed hub washer on the front drivers side wheel hub has the key broken off of it. It was that way when I took it apart. I put it back together for now so I could keep going with the rest of the wheels. Another member "319" was kind enough to drop one in the mail for me on Saturday afternoon, so on Tuesday or Wednesday when it gets here, I'll pull the wheel again and replace the broken one with the good one. Luckily I don't have to drive it anywhere till later in the week.

I have got to say, this is the greatest site I have ever had the privilege of joining. I needed a question answered on Saturday morning, and within minutes I had all of the answers I needed. Plus 319 helped out a fellow member by rushing me a part. I'm planning on ordering enough to have a complete set for the truck that way if I have to do this again I'll have them.

Edit:
There is a question I needed to ask as well. I also adjusted the clutch pedal free play while I was doing my maintenance stuff. The pin that holds the clevis to the clutch arm (circled in the picture). Is there anything that holds that pin in place? Mine was on the verge of falling completely out when I crawled under the truck the do the adjustment. I would like to make it a little more secure, what have some of you other guys done in this situation? Or haven't you had problems with it?

Attachments

Last edited:

tm america

some of those pins have a spring loaded ball that hold them in .if that is the type you have spray some pb blaster on it and work it till its freeand you should be good to go.if it's the type that takes a clip you will see a hole for the clip

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine must be the ball type, because the hole through the clevis goes straight through what would be the center of the solid pin. I didn't see any spring loaded ball in there though. I'll have to pull everything out and see what I can come up with to hold it in place.

Thanks tm, I appreciate the info

tm america

you could get a new spring and ball but you would probably be better to change the pin and clevise i think the the ball and spring shouldnt be able to come out so the hole is probably worn out .

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
cotter pin

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks