• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MAJOR Internal Rust (Engine)

Incredilion

Greetings all-
Yesterday, I wanted to fix a front main leak on my 1986 M1009. We took off the timing cover; and....ooops.
The timing gear & injection pump gear were covered, and I mean like ridiculous overgrown monster covered in rust. This stuff was fairly nutso.
Making a long story short, after much debate, I'm pulling the engine, and installing a new timing chain, gears, rod & main bearings, cam bearings, and oil pump, along with a set of rings. A basic rebuild.
The reason I'm doing all of this is because if I don't (with MY luck) some of that rust will for sure get up in my bearings and spin one. This truck is one of two that will be used as work trucks, I'm a Real Estate Broker in the Mou0ntains of North Idaho, and these trucks will be taking me deep into the woods. I need reliability, and I'm willing to pay for it.
I found a rebuild kit from Falcon Sales for $474.00, a good price, and the engine is coming out today. It's going to a small engine shop to have the crank turned (very slight) & we'll hone the cylinders for the new rings.

Anyone else seen this, and if so, is this from somebody fording the truck, is this normal (hope not!) or what? Any info appreciated.....
Chris

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks