• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

making the truck road worthy

1986chevycucvm1008

my fuel gauge is off on my 1986 chevy m1008 how can i figure out how much fuel i truly have in the truck? and does it matter what type of relay i use for the glow plugs?

cucvrus

You can check if it is the wire that runs to the gauge from the sending unit. Or pull the tank and check the sending unit if it is grounded and working properly. I have had some issues but it always ends up the sending unit in the tank. On the M1008 you will be better off removing the bed to get to that fuel tank sending unit and retain your sanity.

rlltide12

Before you go removing your bed, let me tell you what I did. I had to replace my tank due to it having a hole rubbed in it. To get it out I clipped the fuel sending unit wire and took a broomstick with a knife taped to it and reached thru the fender and cut the 3 fuel lines. When I put it back, I put 2-3 foot long hoses on it and let them lay up on top of the tank to be able to service the tank without having to take the bed off or use my Sunday School words. I also added a waterproof blade terminal male and female to the sending unit wire to be able to unplug it if the need ever arises again.