• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Manual 5 Ton?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Huh. NOT the Tractor versions, however? Interesting. A single or maybe dual locker set-up is something that I am wanting for my "Beastie Wagon". My truck is "pretending" to be a cargo version, using a Deuce bed. 74M35A2, PM inbound, if that is okay?
Fuzzytoaster had an 818 with dual lockers.

77 AMG

Fun times ahead for me, then. I guess that I get to jack it up see what I get. I do believe this truck is a USMC model due to its' number on the hood, tar stuff under the floor and the trans tunnel plates and the galvanized cab. Thoughts?

charlesmann

Am i to assume these trucks have limited slip axles since there is talk of of lockers?

Do both rear axles drive or is it like civi big trucks, have lock the power divider in to get traction out of both axles?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Am i to assume these trucks have limited slip axles since there is talk of of lockers?

Do both rear axles drive or is it like civi big trucks, have lock the power divider in to get traction out of both axles?
Both rear axles pull together. no power divider. Standard open diffs

charlesmann

Fun times ahead for me, then. I guess that I get to jack it up see what I get. I do believe this truck is a USMC model due to its' number on the hood, tar stuff under the floor and the trans tunnel plates and the galvanized cab. Thoughts?
if you dont find crayon ends and or melted crayons under the floor mats, you dont have a USMC truck

charlesmann

Both rear axles pull together. no power divider. Standard open diffs
Copy. I read somewhere on here folks talking bout lockers and a power divider. I couldnt remember if i had seen the PD switch when i was test driving a wrecker a few weeks. Thought they were both powered but wanted to double check.
thanks.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Copy. I read somewhere on here folks talking bout lockers and a power divider. I couldnt remember if i had seen the PD switch when i was test driving a wrecker a few weeks. Thought they were both powered but wanted to double check.
thanks.
Mack toploaders are interchangeable and they have a power divider

charlesmann

Mack toploaders are interchangeable and they have a power divider
i was wondering about that.There are a LOT of older (R, RD) macks for sale, especially if the cab is tore up and frame twisted. I was thinking either swap the axles out or swap only the chunks out. I did a google search for compatibility but came up empty.
Do you think the whole axle/trunion/frame would interchange w/o drilling holes in the frame?
I remember when i worked on big truck rite out of high school, the local cement place brought their trucks in for an upgraded trunion/frame replacement. It was a direct bolt up, but had to ream the 9/16 huck bolt holes out to 5/8 and installed bolt/nuts instead of hucks.

If the axle frame would slide (with the aid of a porta power to spread the truck frame just enough) in, if the mount holes would line up.

Those mack rear end frame sections are priced reasonable. just do a swap.

fasttruck

Inevitably the question will come up about putting an Allison or a roadranger in a M 809 series truck or a deuce. Remember these vehicles have an interlock between the transmission and the transfer case so the transfer case knows which direction the transmission is going. So ya you can get one of these things up onto the bellhousing but then you will loose the all wheel drive. At this point you might as well get a Pete or KW if you want to go fast.

77 AMG

Not if you have a NON SPRAG transfer case.... Just saying... BOTH my 1970 M813 AND my 1970 Duece have the NON sprag setup and work just fine, thank you. BEFORE you try to get started on my 813, it has the X-case from a 923 stuffed in it.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not if you have a NON SPRAG transfer case.... Just saying... BOTH my 1970 M813 AND my 1970 Duece have the NON sprag setup and work just fine, thank you. BEFORE you try to get started on my 813, it has the X-case from a 923 stuffed in it.
Any photos of that swap?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And here I am wanting to do the exact opposite. I want to put an allison in my 818.
Old thread but I like the manual in the 809 series or any truck with a mechanical injection so myself going automatic is a down grade. With any mechanical injection system in a pinch you do not need batteries just something big enough to get a little speed and power up enough to drop the clutch. Yea I like the automatic in the trucks I have now as I do not have to pay as much attention to shifting and more attention to my Texting or using the right had to hold the in flight snacks. Just kidding.

Reactions: 98G
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks