• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Manual and PC interface software WANTED for CA-67 A/U Field Phone (Shelter unit).

Jaybroni

I see you posted this awhile ago, but have to ask:

Did you ever find any manual or data software for the CA-67? I too am looking with no luck. Thanks.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a couple of them, but no manual. Hooked up with quad, and flipped at one end (IE red-black on XMT on one end and REC at the other phone, likewise with yellow-green), set on PT/PT, they will serve well as an intercom (pick up one and the other rings). The PRC68 site has full instructions on using them this way. I just gave you the condensed version.

For other uses, I think they may have to go through a switchboard - need to talk to a commo technician for more info.

Jaybroni

Thanks. I saw the point to point instructions on that prc68 site. Was kind of looking for info to do more than 2, also for possibly connecting the data terminals to connect 2 computers (was just trying to get an idea from the specs to see if it would be even worth it versus ethernet or wireless.) And also seeing what kind of connection to a switchboard would make connecting to home telephone line work (if even possible). Thanks for the reply, though!

Hi Guys! Saw your post the other day Jay--Yes I finally saw the Ebayer I referenced at the top was offering a manual and floppy for sale WITHOUT a unit this summer. I think I still paid too much, but bought a set and took a quick look before filing it away for later use. As I remember, the manual wasn't the typical TM you might expect with all the skinny on the unit itself. The focus was more about the interconnection of several networks using yet another piece of hardware, to manage a field phone system. Like I said, I'm fuzzy on the details, but apparently I didn't find anything that made me excited enough to take it further at that point.

I've been side-tracked through the summer with my Com Shelter / Ham Shack conversion, so I'm way behind posting there, too. When I clear the decks a little, I'll scan and post the "manual" and software on the "Resources" area for everyone.

Good luck!

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found TM 11-7025-328-12P (CA-67). It's 1.2 MB and 157 pages.
Distribution:
To be distributed in accordance with DA Form 12-36-E, block 9897 requirements for TM 11-7025-328-12&P.

So I'm not sure whether it is Distribution A or not. Can someone check to see if it is OK to post?

CUCV_ut

Hello

I know this thread is ancient but I was trying to find more info on these field phones / interface units and came across this. I couldn't find the manual anywhere on the net in pdf, and this was the only thread I found here. Does anyone know if the manual is available yet or where to find it? I also noticed that some people are talking about software for this phone. What does that do? I'm curious if this could be used as a modem across field wire to connect a couple of PCs, or basically what all the other connections on the back of it are for. Any info would be appreciated.

Joe

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joe,
The modem in the units is slower than an old analog modem - 16000 bits per second (IE 1600 characters per second). My ISP (Internet Service provider) that I'm receiving this site on is 3,250,000 bits per second (325,000 characters per second). Look at the size of the last file or picture that was loaded onto your computer and ask yourself, 'If my connection was 2,000 times slower, would I have ever received all these files?'.

KGREENE

Hello:

This is a bit dated in a reply but the CA-67 was a non secure unit and was really designed for users who would have a digital fax machine connected to it. While you could use it for pure data, as one person said, sending or receiving data over this type of unit is not the best choice. The raw data rate is either 16 k/bs or at 32 k/bs and this is really slow.

While it is possible to hook two units up together and have what is called a ring-down circuit, you need an actual switch to process calls if you have three or more units. The primary switch was a trailer mounted (BIG) system called the AN/TTC-39.

The Switch itself consumed a lot of power (200 Amps of 3P power) and by today's standards is really out of date. A modern digital switch can do 300-400 lines in a 1 RU (1.75 inch) server (50 pounds). The TTC-39 did roughly 240 lines and 48 trunks in about 10 tons. So big difference.

That said, the entire line of digital sets from the CA-67 even up to the TA-1042A were great units and very rugged.

Regardless of what people have said, the CA-67 is NOT a programmable unit and requires a lot of infrastructure if you want to use it for anything other than its original design. I have read the manual and have several of the units to play with. The digital voice or data is carried over the CVSD waveform and as far as I know, there is not off the shelf solution to make these work. I have considered making a unit to convert CVSD to SIP+G711 but the waveform conversion is very expensive.

Anyway - good luck.

Kevin

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks