• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Manual transmission LMTV?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it have to be an LMTV? An M35A2 with service van body would make a nice rv, but won't go very fast. Then you have a manual and a 2 speed transfer case and an all fuel engine that only needs electricity to start and have gauges. Basically everything you want out of an LMTV on close to the same chassis, just not a cab over. Just saw this post is from 2022, apologies if it's no longer a concern to you.
M35's are great - for parades. And if you want the engine to last any significant amount of time you will run primarily diesel in it - all "other" fuels were emergency authorization only. I worked on and drove a lot of those turds (52D Motorpool vet) and the FMTV replaced it for GREAT reasons. Speaking specifically of the gearing and manual transmission - they suck on steep grades. Not just because they have no power and you'll do 10-15 MPH up a mountain pass loaded, but because if you get stopped - especially on loose surfaces - good luck getting it moving again. They will just violently shake themselves to pieces trying to climb unless you get a running start. We had to ban them from some of the forest fire roads and use HMMWV's, CUCV's and M35A3's instead because if they got stopped in convoy they couldn't get them moving again and would have to back down the mountain to get a running start.

Also the duals are garbage off-road. They plug up with all kinds of debris and mud and you get very large rocks jammed between the tires requiring removal of the outer wheel.......

I've been in the poop with those trucks and trust me you WANT the FMTV. You only drive an M35 if you HAVE to or don't know any better. My M1079 to an M35A2 is like comparing a Concord to a crop duster. I have 370 HP and 931 Ft/lbs of torque. With ECO hubs my truck will do well over 80 MPH. And I guarantee it will out-crawl an M35 of any vintage. And I'll never have to wear out a clutch or get special pants made with a bigger left leg hole.....

Last edited:

biscuitwhistler37

M35's are great - for parades. And if you want the engine to last any significant amount of time you will run primarily diesel in it - all "other" fuels were emergency authorization only. I worked on and drove a lot of those turds (52D Motorpool vet) and the FMTV replaced it for GREAT reasons. Speaking specifically of the gearing and manual transmission - they suck on steep grades. Not just because they have no power and you'll do 10-15 MPH up a mountain pass loaded, but because if you get stopped - especially on loose surfaces - good luck getting it moving again. They will just violently shake themselves to pieces trying to climb unless you get a running start. We had to ban them from some of the forest fire roads and use HMMWV's, CUCV's and M35A3's instead because if they got stopped in convoy they couldn't get them moving again and would have to back down the mountain to get a running start.

Also the duals are garbage off-road. They plug up with all kinds of debris and mud and you get very large rocks jammed between the tires requiring removal of the outer wheel.......

I've been in the poop with those trucks and trust me you WANT the FMTV. You only drive an M35 if you HAVE to or don't know any better. My M1079 to an M35A2 is like comparing a Concord to a crop duster. I have 370 HP and 931 Ft/lbs of torque. With ECO hubs my truck will do well over 80 MPH. And I guarantee it will out-crawl an M35 of any vintage. And I'll never have to wear out a clutch or get special pants made with a bigger left leg hole.....
All true, and must be factored in. Parts availability is probably higher for the FMTV as well. I'm told A3 wheels on an A2 with the right tires eliminates a lot of those issues, I don't know yet because I'm brand new. If there's no reliable way to put a manual in an fmtv, an A2 on super singles might be the way to go. I like mine on duals, but like said, I don't know any better. I do know if minimalist electronics, a manual transmission and the option of manual lockout hubs is what you're after, it's hard to beat the M35. TETO.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
All true, and must be factored in. Parts availability is probably higher for the FMTV as well. I'm told A3 wheels on an A2 with the right tires eliminates a lot of those issues, I don't know yet because I'm brand new. If there's no reliable way to put a manual in an fmtv, an A2 on super singles might be the way to go. I like mine on duals, but like said, I don't know any better. I do know if minimalist electronics, a manual transmission and the option of manual lockout hubs is what you're after, it's hard to beat the M35. TETO.
Or Just go with a 939 series truck and put a 9,10 or 13 speed in it if you want.
939s were the most reliable trucks in the supply lines outside of the 915a1s

More reliable, the most parts availability from local parts stores if you are planning on going on long road trips.

I put over 300,000mi on a single 923. With upgrades along the way. Never replaced an axle or even a wheel bearing. Very few air system issues as well.

DeMilitarized

I'm thinking about the T138 stronger case but no OD. If I go with a 13 or 18 speed trans I'd have .73 OD and 3.07 rears, I'd run under 2200RPM at 65 MPH. Fast enough for me.

Thanks for the clutch info, hadn't given it much thought, only that it would need to be hydraulic.

Shifter, I'm thinking Kenworth K100e cable set-up might work.

With the 13 or 18 speed trans low would be 12:1 or lower, then low in the transfer case, where is the week link? I like that I could creep along at idle. But even that could twist a driveshaft or blow a rear.
If you run eco hubs then you will get more gear ratios.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or Just go with a 939 series truck and put a 9,10 or 13 speed in it if you want.

More reliable, the most parts availability from local parts stores if you are planning on going on long road trips.

I put over 300,000mi on a single 923. With upgrades along the way. Never replaced an axle or even a wheel bearing. Very few air system issues as well.
900 series trucks were damn good. But can't match the FMTV / ECO hub combo for fuel economy. But damn I do love me a 916A3 Freightliner.....

The 900 series trucks don't have any significant edge in terms of parts availability to the FMTV - there's plusses and minuses in both categories. The whole point of the FMTV was to leverage commercial parts.

There does remain the statistics on the military side giving the overall reliability achievement award to the FMTV's. People forget the teething problems that a lot of the older 2.5 and 5 ton series of trucks had over their very long careers - mostly resolved for those getting them out of surplus in more recent years - being trucks that were updated and maintained over decades of service or sitting around.

And as much as I like a manual - the auto's are A LOT more capable and easier to drive. No clutch maintenance, etc.

As for the whole "mechanical" obsession - it's ridiculous. Especially for the M35A2's - parts are MUCH harder to source and they are much more likely to have a mechanical related failure due to age than my truck is likely to have an electronics failure and both my mechanical parts and electronic parts are readily available.

biscuitwhistler37

That would be such an awesome setup. Also I just read the 939 had the roomiest cab as well. For what it would cost though you could probably do the manual swap and have driveshafts made for the FMTV to handle the faster rotation. Then you have one off pieces on the truck and all the problems that come with that. Each truck is so awesome when modified correctly it's hard to say what's "best". Hard to beat the center of gravity and maneuverability of the M1078 from what I understand, hard to beat the parts availability of the 939s, hard to beat the minimalism that is the M35.

biscuitwhistler37

900 series trucks were damn good. But can't match the FMTV / ECO hub combo for fuel economy.

As for the whole "mechanical" obsession - it's ridiculous. Especially for the M35A2's - parts are MUCH harder to source and they are much more likely to have a mechanical related failure due to age than my truck is likely to have an electronics failure and both my mechanical parts and electronic parts are readily available.
What kind of fuel economy do they get? I have read the 900s get around 7, curious if that's accurate. There are a lot more options for the m35s now than just old surplus. Delco alternators have been fitted to much success, hydraulic heads and injection pumps are now being rebuilt with success, gear reduction starters are an option, bearing sets are prevalent, pinion brakes are an option, hod rodders are turning 12-15psi and not hitting 1200 on the pyrometer. Yes in stock form the A2 is an awkward dog of a truck, a little love and know how and it can become an entirely different animal. Such is true for any truck.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What kind of fuel economy do they get? I have read the 900s get around 7, curious if that's accurate. There are a lot more options for the m35s now than just old surplus. Delco alternators have been fitted to much success, hydraulic heads and injection pumps are now being rebuilt with success, gear reduction starters are an option, bearing sets are prevalent, pinion brakes are an option, hod rodders are turning 12-15psi and not hitting 1200 on the pyrometer. Yes in stock form the A2 is an awkward dog of a truck, a little love and know how and it can become an entirely different animal. Such is true for any truck.
My M0179 A1R with ECO hubs gets a little over 10 mpg if you drive careful with cruise control (yes it has electronic cruise control through the CAT computer) and kept to a reasonable speed. The 7.2 Liter C7 CAT engine runs about 30psi through a Borg Warner S300.

The FMTV's have tons of support as well. Lots of guys running different alternator setups - I have a 300A alternator on my truck. Those of us with later trucks are enjoying the benefits of the military still using the same platform with the same drivetrain in active service so there's still a lot of surplus trickling out and will be for decades to come - my local reserve unit got an M1078 A1P2 last summer that was built in June of 2021.

Comparing to the M35's - the FMTV's have VERY strong power steering, central tire inflation, a stock upgrade path for air conditioning from Red Dot and some even come with it already..... the improvements are almost endless really. Oh! The electronic engines - 3126b and C7 - start very well in cold weather. Both have intake grid heaters and the C7 has computer controlled Ether. I started my truck this morning in 17 degrees (without the block heater because I just wanted to test the Ether) and it started like any other morning - that is to say like a normal car or truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks