• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Many M880 questions from a new owner

mahall

I recently obtained a M880 with 90k miles. It is mechanically sound with only minor rust issues.

1. The steering seems to be very loose. As a go down the road it is hard to keep straight and I seem to be always correcting. Is this because I have an old steering setup? The previous owner said he put a new steering box in and it has a steering stabilizer as well. Also, sometimes when I try to turn at a slow speed the steering seems to bind up.

2. I am looking to fit a CB radio into the truck. Are there any recommended setups on how to do this?

3. I want to get a CD player into this truck because it will be my daily driver and who doesn't like listening to music as they drive? Well, the truck has no speakers and there is just an empty space in the dash. I have a radio out of a 89 dakota which seems to screw right in place but how do I wire this radio in? I have speakers I could use for this setup. I was thinking about making speaker boxes for the kick panels.

4. There is a large metal electrical connector sticking out of the dash what is this typically used for?

5. My battery gauges tends to swing back and forth and doesn't settle on a reading. And my temperature gauge does not seem to work either.

Thanks in advanced for any advice or help given. I will get some pictures soon to help clarify some of my issues.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently obtained a M880 with 90k miles. It is mechanically sound with only minor rust issues.

1. The steering seems to be very loose. As a go down the road it is hard to keep straight and I seem to be always correcting. Is this because I have an old steering setup? The previous owner said he put a new steering box in and it has a steering stabilizer as well. Also, sometimes when I try to turn at a slow speed the steering seems to bind up.

Check the front spindles and wheel bearings! You may very well find the passenger side wheel bearings shot and the wheel wobbly.

2. I am looking to fit a CB radio into the truck. Are there any recommended setups on how to do this?

Hanging under the dash??

3. I want to get a CD player into this truck because it will be my daily driver and who doesn't like listening to music as they drive? Well, the truck has no speakers and there is just an empty space in the dash. I have a radio out of a 89 dakota which seems to screw right in place but how do I wire this radio in? I have speakers I could use for this setup. I was thinking about making speaker boxes for the kick panels.

I bought some of those fuzzy 6x9 speaker boxes from a stereo store and set them behind the seat. Been working fine since 1989. Wire it to a hot wire in the fuse box, either before or after the ignition switch.

4. There is a large metal electrical connector sticking out of the dash what is this typically used for?

Did your truck have blackout lights? That is the connector for the 3 lever military light switch, which must be bypassed in your case

5. My battery gauges tends to swing back and forth and doesn't settle on a reading. And my temperature gauge does not seem to work either.

The ammeter should be steady, if not, you could have issues with the alternator diodes or the voltage regulator. For the temp gauge, the sender is available from the auto parts store, and the gauge may be available from Saturn Surplus et al . . .

Thanks in advanced for any advice or help given. I will get some pictures soon to help clarify some of my issues.
By the way, welcome to the site!

mahall

Thank you NDT!

1. I read that these trucks didn't originally have PS? This truck must have been converted then. Going down the road it doesn't bind up at all it just seems loose and is hard to keep straight. At a standstill or low speed the steering will bind up and make a chirping noise if turned (stutters a little). The belt doesn't seem that tight (it is cracking though), the steering box looks new, and the fluid looks alright as well. I'm not sure if it is a bearing issue, it seems to go down the road rather smooth.

2. I wired the CB today, came out pretty good. I just need to tuck the antenna wire out of sight and I'll be all set. I think I'll position the radio right next to the transfer case shifter.

3. I didn't even think of behind the seat! Is it muffled at all back there? By the way, what type of head unit are you using for your truck? And what did you do to wire it up?

4. I found a interior pic on another m880 and the connector must be for that 3 position switch. I'm not sure how blackout lights would work on my truck though.

5. I'll have to investigate these :wink:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope, no original PS, sure is nice with it. Like I said, check the front end carefully, jack up the axle and grasp the tire and try to wiggle it. Otherwise you could have tire/balance issues. Behind seat sound is fine (to me), you have to turn it way up to overcome the wind noise from the 2-55 air conditioner! I have the stereo sitting on the seat next to me. (not recommended). If most of the blackout lights are missing, you might want to buy the entire kit and start over, Saturn has them I think. Instructions are included.

N1265

If the electrical connector is in the center of the dash, round and about 2 in. in diamiter it is probably for the blackout lights, the truck system and blackout system is suppose to be intergrated to work correctly, But as stated above it may be bypassed, If this is the case and the truck lights work, I wouldn't tear into it without the COMPLETE truck and blackout wiring diagrams. ( don't kick a sleeping dog ) the last thing you want to do is to lose the truck lights...

check all the tie rod ends and drag link for play, this is probably where your steering troubles are coming from. if they are " ok " check the adjustment screw on the power steering box for proper adjustment. also make sure the belt is tight enough to prevent slipping.

Blythewoodjoe

As for the black out light switch, I have to switch mine to one of the positions (I can't remember which position) for the regular lights to work. Some of the lights work all the time, but all the lights didn't work until I switched it to that position.

The other day my left front brake caliper was not releasing well and it caused the truck to want to go left for several miles after I would use the brakes. But this will also make the entire wheel and hub HOT. You might want to check the temp of the wheels after your next trip. Good luck.