• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Master cyl dry

connectingbar

Finally pulled my first Deuce into my shop for some brake inspecting after comming from the auction. Took off the MC cap and noticed that it was dry, then I noticed the cap had a axle vent on top and there was a line that was disconnected that goes into a tee on the crossmember. Did someone switch the vent line to a vent cap? This is my first time working on a Deuce and I need to know if the line off the tee should be plugged or where does it go? How many lines are there to the MC? just the one in the back? I am going to replace the MC because it is leaking from the shaft so I need to know where everything goes so I hook it all back up. I built a pressure bleeder as seen on the site and I tried to bleed the system but stopped when I found the leak. Seems funny that the brakes work fine after I added fluid and only a drip out of the airpac. I would post pics but my daughter has my camera so I hope someone can figure this out. Where do I look for detailed pics?

jwaller

the vent on the cap is somebody being lazy. the cap should be connected to the T. that is your deep water vent that moves it higher for it's own good.

connectingbar

Just talked to a friend of mine who worked in the Air Force motor pool for over 20 years and he said that it was common practice to unhook the vent line and install a vent cap because the line was a pain in the A@s. But only done on trucks that were not eqipped with the fording kit. I will hook it back up. Along with the new MC I will rebuild the airpack with a kit I ordered from OD IRON. y With my experiance driving heavy equipment (cranes and off road forklifts) I know how important brake PM is. The equipment is allways rented and at one point I lost all brakes on a crane and had to use the outriggers to stop it (YIKES!!) So I dont want to take any chances. So I will be darn sure that the brakes on this are 100% before driving it on the road.
I also noticed that the primary fuel filter at the front of the motor has the same size can as the secondary and final filters, so would this take the same size filter than the one supplied in the filter kit?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nope, the primary is a smaller filter. All the space below it is there to catch water and debris till you empty it. The filter should sit on a spring that holds it to the top. If it doesn't let us know and we can tell you where to go from there.

connectingbar

Thanks for your insite and help and great site as well. I am sure i will have more questions as I move along and when my daughter gets my camera back I will post some pics. OH! I allmost, I spoke with Sen Mccain last night ( helped on his campaign here in NY) and discussed in length the issue with the pulled auctions.He will be talking with the current admin to find out the problems.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure it's leaking? Last truck I got from GL the M/C was dry. I thought it must have a leak but I put some fluid in it and bled the system and took it for a test drive. That was over a year ago and I haven't added any since or any sign of leaks. I have no idea of why it was dry but it doesn't apear to be from leaking. Maybe for some reason the drained the brake fuild but all other fluids were ok.

dabtl

Originally, the primary used the same filter as the secondary. It changed over time. The base for the filter can be lowered on the post and the same filters used on all.

bottleworks

The cap needs to be vented (Same goes for every other car/light truck on the road). Putting a plug in the cap will cause the brakes to drag with a long driving trip.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks