• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Master Cylinder Variants?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey I guys, I was changing the M/C on a for sale truck today. I bought 3 NOS Deuce Master cylinder's from Kcgonzo on Egay. I pulled the leaking one out of the truck and got ready to install the "new" one. Problem, the "new" M/C fill cap is about 1/3 smaller than the size of the one being replaced. When the Army went to the TACOM Approved master cylinder what was the difference?, next question, will the M/C I got from egay work?, or will the DOT 5 do something bad to it?.........

And btw, I'm tired, drunk, pissed off, filthy dirty, and didn't feel like searching.........

Attachments

StreetbikeDepot

I had a similar problem today....LOL I picked up a handfull of deuces last week and today I was working on one of them and realized that my M/C cap was gone.....no big deal I'll grab the one off the truck that I'm parting out. Wasn't that easy.....one had a plastic resevoir (the newer truck think its an 85 year model) and the other truck had an all cast M/C like the one you posted up. I'm going to swap out the newer M/C tomorrow, but I would still like to know also wich years had what.

Post up your findings for me.....Thanks.

StreetbikeDepot

Care to explain the difference to me.....The truck that I'm needing a M/C cap for is an 85 model, coinsidentaly the parts truck that I'm parting out in the other thread is also an 85 model. BUT.....on the one that I need a cap for, the brake line was unhooked at the M/C when I got it fromt GL, and it has a big cast M/C. I think it may supposed to have the M/C with a plastic resevoir. I tried to hook the line up to the cast M/C and the thread size is too small on the brake line. I'm thinking that it got swapped out just to realize it wouldn't work and then the truck was sold....I don't know. I was planning on taking the other M/C off in the morning and put it on this truck . Is there a diference in braking performance with the other style M/C, is the system the same with just a different M/C?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The cast master is old, the plastic master is (I think) part of the dual circuit (upgraded system). We need pics of both!

gimpyrobb

Huh. Is the bore of the original too bad to hone? Then you can just put the new master's guts in the old one.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Have not disassembled the old one, but I'm concerned that there is a reason why there is a sticker installed in the cab that says "Tacom Approved Master Cylinder Installed" and if the "new" (primer red) cylinder is going to be safe to use. I am selling this truck and want to make sure everything is right, and safe.

StreetbikeDepot

Thats two guys now that have noted their interested in buying the system.....anyone care to give me any info on it? What is so much better about it? Is the system M/C based only, or is the entire system different?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ok, hold on I'll start another thread with my original question, then you guys can discuss the split brake system of the late model M35's here....... :)

gimpyrobb

Sorry fmj. I don't know the answer to your question, you'll have to wait till someone smarter than I posts.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are at least 2 different castings for the deuce master cylinders. Lids are different but both work fine on the deuce. Streetbikedepot, thats the reason I sent the PM on the brake parts for the parts truck. I know you said that the MC was already spoken for. I'm still hoping for the mounting bracket pedal assy. I guess Gimpy and DanMartin missed those details when you put up the thread on parting it out.

jwaller

StreetbikeDepot said:
I'll get it all sorted out tomorrow. I have you down for the bracket if its the one you spoke of.....I'll let you know.
do you have a BRAKE light in the center of the gauge cluster? is there a wire coming off the brake brake lever? do you see 2 hydrovac's under the truck?