• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Master Cylinder Warning!!!!!!!!!

connectingbar

Tis is to inform every Deuce owner that has replaced thier Master Cyl with a new star brand.

I replaced my master a year ago and recently installed new shoes and wheel cylinders. After bleeding the system I took her out for a spin to the car wash that is just doen the road. On the return trip while turning into my driveway the master cyl blew out the front seal!!! dumping all the fluid. Lucky for me this did not happen on the highway.

Beware of this product because your and other drivers are at the mercy of the quality of parts you choose to use.

Any Master cylinders govt issue out there? or who would carry them? Saturn?

avengeusa

good thing nobody was hurt

pull the cylinder apart and check to see how it all looks, maybe you can get a replacement seal.....

we really need an aftermarket dual/split brake system for these trucks, something nice.....

rorybellows

call wilwood or another brake products manufacturor and see if they can help you. they probably could at least help you calculate the right size m/c youd need.

randyscycle

I've used a fair amount of NewStar products without issue.

Maybe the lockring wasn't seated fully in the M/C piston? That sounds like the only explanation for that happening.

Do a postmortem and see what you find.

connectingbar

Just took the MC off and took it apart. What I found is the front seal on the piston is something like hard plastic. This sould be of the same material as axle seals and the like. Housing and all the hard parts are of good workmanship. I believe they skimped on the seals. Hard plastic does not seal well. I have experiance with hydrolics and I have never seen material such as this used under pressure from 1 psi to 1000 psi

I will be talking to NewStar to see if this was a short run of production and if it was, they should advise thier suppliers to contact the customers

Gamagoat1

Just took the MC off and took it apart. What I found is the front seal on the piston is something like hard plastic. This sould be of the same material as axle seals and the like. Housing and all the hard parts are of good workmanship. I believe they skimped on the seals. Hard plastic does not seal well. I have experiance with hydrolics and I have never seen material such as this used under pressure from 1 psi to 1000 psi

I will be talking to NewStar to see if this was a short run of production and if it was, they should advise thier suppliers to contact the customers
All Chinese????????????????

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New Star is not the manufacturer. They are a distributor. They source the parts from many manufacturers, including gov surplus in some cases. Most of the brake parts come from a US manufacturer, the same one that supplies the US Military. Some of their parts come from Korea and some from other parts of Asia and/or other parts of the world.

As we are seeing the end of life for M35, 800 series and others, many US manufacturers are discontinuing many of the parts that they manufactured for the US Military that supported these trucks. Brake parts (wheel cylinders to be specific) are one the items that this manufacturer has provided notice that they will be discontinuing. As New Star receives these notices they then begin to look for alternative sources which may be an Asian made product. They may also contract out the manufacture, making them a single source supplier.

The man that runs the military division for New Star was here in my office a month ago. He is a friend as well. If you call New Star they will probably refer you back to the original retailer you bought the part from. But, they will be intersted in the failure of such a critical piece. Thousands of these Master Cylinders are in use. If there is a pattern of failure, or one about to emerge, they will be interested. I speak with them at least twice a week and will mention this as well.

New Star is a subsidiary of S&S Truck Parts. S&S is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) over the road truck parts houses in the US. It is an American Company.

One more thing, I supply these parts to many Municipalities and Fire Dept's across the US, have not had 1 - a single problem with any of them. I suggest contacting your retailer and let them fight the good fight for you. I know you did not buy it from me or I would take up the matter for you. As I said above, I will mention it Tuesday to them though, I will PM you if I have any info for you.

Last edited:

connectingbar

I did get it from you last December but you are not the problem. I am no way angered by this because I drive and operate heavy equipment for a living and now and then a new part fails. I am anal about safety but not hot headed about a problem, I would rather rectify the problem and move on. I will resurch this part and figure how to improve it "at My cost"

I will report back

CB out!

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, if that's the case, I'll take the lead on this for you. At the very least we'll get you another Master Cylinder. I see you've PM'd me with your number, I'll call you tomorrow to start to work out the details. It shouldn't have failed this quick. As I said in the earlier post this will be the 1st failure of one that I've sold (that I know of).

Sorry, I didn't recognize you by your SS name. And your post said you replaced it a year ago.

I'll stand behind it.

Last edited:

vtdeucedriver

very informative.....................me, I just installed my 1st Newstar wheel cylinder on my M151....................not very happy, the bleeder fitting sucks and costed me a set of fairly new pads.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
VT, I only sell the 2.5 and 5 ton parts. I'm not familiar with the parts for the other MV's. The information I gave in my above post was specific to 2.5 and 5 ton parts only. But, to help a fellow SS, I'll speak with S&S on Tuesday and ask about where the M151 Cylinders are coming from and pass on your feedback.

Last edited:

connectingbar

In no way are you responsable, all I want to do is bring this to the table and hopefully find a solution. Manufacturing flaws do happen ( this is the mother of all inventions) Please do not think in any way I am angerd.

I did bleed the brakes the old fashioned way like I do to even the newest equipment like cranes that weigh 10 times as much.

CB out!

ctmustang

bought a master cylinder from saturn a month ago and works great. Why not buy original gov. parts as long as they last. been in the auto business for 23 yrs. and could scare people to death if they knew some of the things I've seen and learned from aftermarket parts. I'm not dogging all aftermarket but again why not use the original as long as you can get them?:twisted:
C.T>

connectingbar

Desert Duece is right, I did not buy it from him and I can say that he is a stand up guy for taking up the issue.

I will most likely go with a orig govt part or rebuild it with wagner parts but the seals will go to a hydrolic shop to be tested and I will post my findings.

I am not trying to scare anyone , just trying to inform of a possible problem.

Since I couldnt take it to the local parade, my nephew and I sanded the cab and shot it in primer, while we were wrapping up and cleaning the tools, his Marine recruter stopped by and informed him that he will be picked up tonight and will be at Parris Island boot camp Wed am.

God speed John Semper Fi

connectingbar

Pulled the trigger and called Saturn and bought another MC ( gov surplus not aftermarket)

I also took the seals of my dead MC to a Hyd shop only to say that the seals are garbage quality but did say that he doubts that every mc has these. Most likely infusion of another chemical in the mix ( beginning or the end of the run)

atvcat33

>>>sounds like it was your error!!<<<

ive sold over 30 masters from the 715 to the 5 ton. I HAVE NEVER HAD ONE blow up. most military masters are made by wagner. THE NEW STAR IS MADE BY GIBBENS, A subsidary of wagner. DRAIN YOUR AIR TANKS DAILY KEEPS CRAP OUT OF THE LINE WHICH CAN PLUG UP YOUR MASTER, ans cause it to build up pressure and have no where to go. :-D

connectingbar

I have allway drained my airtank daily! I work in the construction field and have been for 20 plus years and our cranes to our heavy haulers have air systems in them. I started from the bottom as an oiler to now the super for the northeast and with our weather and the environment I work in requires tanks to be dumped after every shift. This is no diffrent on my own equipment. The grap I talked about infused , is not from the vehical but from the manufacture of the seals.

I suppose that you never have had a part fail ( it does happen, have you ever bought a new car?)