• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Max trailer weight with out trailer brakes

Josh

so i need to tow approx 7000lb load 30 or so miles on a trailer with out brakes( the trailer just physically does not have them, am i asking for incident or not? i only ask because the truck can carry 10k in the back with out additional brakes, so i figured id ask the experts.

im actually installing the Curt 14082 hitch and then working on all the nice electrical so i have lights.

*edit* - i pulled all my tires today to check my brakes and all appear to be in exellent shape, and none of the wheel cylinders/master cylinder leak.

Josh

i figured as much, but i always like to check with the experts.

i seriosly love this forum and quick answers are recieved, ive been to some were its 3-4 days before i get responce.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doable? Yes! Are you confident with the condition of your truck? Triple your reactionary gap. You just need to be on your A game. The carried weight and trailered weight play a different role here. When carrying weight, it is actually increasing your coefficient of friction of the trucks tires, with the weight in the trailer, its just pushing the truck forward.

ida34

Most states require any trailer over 3500 lbs gross to have operable trailer brakes with a break away device. That being said I towed my 7000 lbs M146 trailer home without brakes with my M818 because GL seems to want to demil all of them by pulling out the air brake lines when moving them.

2Deuces wild

I play a lawyer on TV and My advice is check your trucks brakes and your insurance policy to see whats covered, go slow, And if things go wrong admit nothing and Hire a good Lawyer that doesn't play one on TV and hope for the best.:wink:

Wolf.Dose

According to my manuales as well of the Deuce and the 5 ton they are limited to 3500 lbs unbreaked and 10000 lbs to 20000 lbs with brakes. Both values for on Highway.
The Sherifs, I think, are aware of these values. The Army is always on the safe side for the brake performance. A perfectly braking Deuce is capable do tow a 7000 lbs trailer unbraked, the 5 ton as well. But I think, it is not legal in the States. In Germany it is illegal.
Do you have a farmer around and can ask for a tractor help. Even in the States they may pull more unbreaked as a truck. Try to find a 4WD tractor. This will help! The bigger the better. A so called 4WD simply is to big for that little load. A 150 hp tractor is a good choise, refering to the brakes of the tractor (If the owner keeps it tractors ib good shape).
Hope this helps.
Wolf

Last edited: