• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

May be getting a M1008

welpro222

Hey guys, I may be buying a M1008, my first cucv purchase. I am very familiar with the 6.2 engine and vehicle but not so much with the cucv system. Can you guys give me some advice on what to look out for. It seems to be original, 24v system, dual alts, dual batteries, rebuilt tranny (th400), still has the dana60/14bolt ff. 69,000 miles, the guy used it for construction work.

Drock

Off the top of my head, for starters I'd say make sure (BOTH) batteries are in good and (EQUAL) working order. And ask the current owner how long he's had it and what all he's done. When you first get these trucks from the government they've bin sitting for 30+ years so most if not all rubber parts are shot. So no doubt he's had to change out some parts, just try and get ah list of what he did. If it hasn't already bin done, do the "doghead" starter solenoid mod, and add ah temp gauge. Maybe do the glow plug resister bypass mod. Then the rest should just be the normal 30 year old vehicle stuff like change all fluids, tires, belts, hoses, thermostat, glow plugs, check / clean the electrical connections, and so on. Then just drive it and let the little problems reveal themselves 2cents.... cheers:beer:

welpro222

Thanks 1stumpjumper, I grabbed it sunday and took it home. Blackouts work, new alternators, rebuilt tranny 1500 miles ago with receipt, and rifle racks still there. 68k on odometer.
20150608_123948_resized.jpg
20150608_124002_resized.jpgWhats it mean? National Guard?

welpro222

Im still up in the air about my plans for it, it was mainly a good deal I could not pass on. I drove it home 130 miles and it drives very nice, almost better then my suburban. 24v still in tack, manual glow plugs, fluids look good, typical rear transfer case leaky seal. Dana 60/14 ff locker rear. Looks to have a leaky lift pump, which can explain the rough idle. Vacuum regulator not working (vacuum pump works, but no vacuum to tranny) Tranny is shifting late and hard.

Drock

Those vacuum lines are a cheap and easy fix. Good place to start.

Nice find! :beer:
Agree, my rule of thumb when messin around with old or even new vehicles is to start with the simple/cheap fixes first. Ah lot of times it's those little ten cent pieces that make big problems.

welpro222

I need to do a few things to it before I start driving it more. Needs new battery terminals, needs the starter bracket, new lift pump, rear transfer case seal, etc.

welpro222

Well guys so far I have installed a new ac delco lift pump, fuel filter, and replaced VRV for tranny. Before I replaced the lift pump, it was leaking fuel and hard to start when sitting. After new lift pump it worked great for a few days, then when it sits for a day its hard to start again. The IP is leaking out of the throttle shafts it looks like, but it runs great.

welpro222

Oh and I found out someone changed the gearing ratio to 3.73, but thankfully left the locker in it. I was hoping for 4.56 gearing, but this is better for highway use.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks