• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

May need some assistance in PA

ssdvc

Fellow SS member (and an active duty Marine) was transporting an M1009 through PA when he lost a rear wheel by exit 49A off Rt 78 about 2 hours ago. I don't have more info as of yet, but is there anyone out there close by who may be able to lend a hand tomorrow or has a suggestion of where the truck can be brought to and repaired ? He was on the way back to Texas to his duty station.

Last edited:

ssdvc

Some additional info. Looks like the drivers side rear wheel came loose and he lost control of the truck and then kissed the guard rail. Extent of the damage is not yet known, won't be until morning. May just be a matter of (hopefully) finding the wheel and tire (may be at the side of the road), or getting another one to get him on the road again......maybe. More to follow, but he is a long way from his final destination.

ssdvc

Has anyone shipped a CUCV recently? Any recommendations for shipping companies? This one will not go up on the trailer without some sort of help/rigging (maybe a tow dolly?). Will be going from Allentown PA (approx) to Ft Worth Texas.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone shipped a CUCV recently? Any recommendations for shipping companies? This one will not go up on the trailer without some sort of help/rigging (maybe a tow dolly?). Will be going from Allentown PA (approx) to Ft Worth Texas.
[/QUO
Here is another one.https://www.uship.com/cost-to-ship/...MI-f3Ewp_U_QIVfxGtBh10KwFNEAAYAiAAEgKuxPD_BwE

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
United States of Freight? They're on here..................I believe prior service???? Might be worth checking into

Maybe Eastern Equipment could help??? Contact Dave??? They'd be able to do the repair and such...................They're in PA

ssdvc

Sorry, I believe he is in the Allentown area. I am waiting for him to chime in on what he needs.

ssdvc

I guess my question is .... how could this happen. Truck had new axles, new tires, brakes were more than good, etc. There was nothing wrong with the truck. This is an odd failure.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, I believe he is in the Allentown area. I am waiting for him to chime in on what he needs.
Ok I was just up that way last sunday snagging parts off a 1009 that had the rear axle on it still. Not sure how he'd get to him to get the parts though but I'd bet the guy would be pretty cheap. That is a 2 1/2 hour drive from where I am.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess my question is .... how could this happen. Truck had new axles, new tires, brakes were more than good, etc. There was nothing wrong with the truck. This is an odd failure.
Looks like the lug studs are gone in the one pic...possibly they nuts were put on to tight with the uggadug.

ssdvc

WWRD99, thanks for the parts info.

The last time those wheels were touched were at Walmart when the mounted, balanced and installed my new tires.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter

The last time those wheels were touched were at Walmart when the mounted, balanced and installed my new tires.
The guy I got parts from is in Hazelton which is not far at all from where he is...not sure how to get the 2 together. He had a complete rear axle still together...wouldn't take much to get the parts off it.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I'm thinking it slammed into the guard rail, but you said that the guy said the wheel went flying off before he hit the guard rail? Maybe check the torque on the rest of the wheels. I noticed that the van in the picture has similar damage. Did that vehicle hit the guard rail too, or do you know?

Last edited:

ssdvc

EZGN - Don't know about the white van. Yes, he said he felt a wobble in the truck, slowed down and then all hell broke loose.

WWRD99 - Not sure either. Waiting to here from the driver of the M1009 to get more details.

ssdvc

It's a bit odd, but I haven't heard from the driver yet. Sent him a text letting him know I am standing by to help, got an acknowledgment, but no comms since. I assume he got things squared away without assistance.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a bit odd, but I haven't heard from the driver yet. Sent him a text letting him know I am standing by to help, got an acknowledgment, but no comms since. I assume he got things squared away without assistance.
VERY courteous of you to offer and reach out.................sad, that there couldn't have been a follow through....................but, it's what "we" do here, try to help! Pay-it-forward!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks