• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maybe a new deuce owner, need advice....

JR

Hi everybody, I have always wanted a deuce, I stumbled on one for sale and I am thinking about pulling the trigger. I went to look at it and its nice, very clean, no leaks. It has 27,800 miles on it now and 1105 hours. It has the turbo multifuel engine and it was a new or rebuilt? engine in 1986 per contract date. It even has a bullet hole in the back of the cab behind the seat. I talked him down to $3600 and was thinking that was a good deal but then I saw a member here sold one with a heater and a winch for $3499 on ebay so now I am unsure. What do you guys think? Anything I should look for when I go back?

Attachments

DanMartin

JR, Welcome to SS!

$3600 is a great deal for a running deuce...especially if it's in as good of shape as yours looks from the pictures you have posted.

The other one may have been a better deal (or not) depending on condition and equipment (maybe more options, but it also could have a weak engine, or need a new clutch or something).

You could add a winch to yours for around $1000 (for all the parts)...that means you'd have a winch truck for $4600...still a good deal IMO.

Enjoy your new truck. This is the place to hang out and ask questions...lots of great people here who are happy to help.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good. Does he have the rest of the bows? Is it titled already? If it has a clean title and tag on it, I would say $101.00 difference is worth it. Check the member locator map and see if someone is close to you the help you check it out.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm anal about this but I'd be comparing VIN on the data plate with the VIN on the frame. I've gotten one that didn't match already.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bullet hole might have been self-inflicted. I once owned a HMMWV that had two bullet holes through the floorboard on the passenger side that looked consistent with an M16 round...or so a friend that does ballistic testing for the military told me.

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Jr everything posted here are good points. Read well ,do your home work and be sure you take it for a serious hi-way test drive. Truck looks good. Other than that,,,GO FOR IT !!! Where on the east coast are you?
Neil

JR

Thanks for the replies

Where are the vin locations?

How should it shift? it seemed a little hard to get into the gears, especially i think 3rd, just to right of reverse. Dont get me wrong it drives fine but its not as smooth as say my F250's T19. Are the gears syncro mesh?

Anything else to look out for?

He claims it starts good cold but it was warm when I got there. It runs really well and doesn't smoke much. My 250 smokes more.

No other bows, are they hard to come by?

The wound is self inflicted I think, it shrapnels out from the inside.

:driver:

-JR

CCATLETT1984

RE: Thanks for the replies

The VIN (serial number) is stamped into the frame on the drivers side, just in front of the shock mount, you may have to scrape paint away as they didnt stamp them heavily.

second is just to the right of reverse. the shift pattern is on the dash of the truck.
2nd through 5th are syncro, first and reverse are not.

bows are fairly easy to come by.

Most deuces start great in the cold, but I'd want to start it cold, just to be sure.

Alredneck

Banned
RE: Thanks for the replies

Clean lookn truck, bullet holes gotta be worth a couple hundred dollars more! :D My truck was in OIF1 and it doesnt have bullet holes in it danm! Good Luck and welcome to the site!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Thanks for the replies

Alredneck said:
Clean lookn truck, bullet holes gotta be worth a couple hundred dollars more! :D My truck was in OIF1 and it doesnt have bullet holes in it danm! Good Luck and welcome to the site!
If you would like some bullet holes in your truck come by my house. We're always looking for something to shoot at :lol: .

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Maybe a new deuce owner, need advice....

Recovry4x4 said:
I'm anal about this but I'd be comparing VIN on the data plate with the VIN on the frame. I've gotten one that didn't match already.
Me too. It wasn't some truck that someone pieced together either. It came from the Government that way :shock: .

davidkroberts

RE: Re: RE: Maybe a new deuce owner, need advice....

HMMMMM.... :roll: ... self inflicted gunshot hole, that would make it an Army or National Guard vehicle, nobody ever shows them how to work their firearms properly... rofl

Vehicle looks good, i would have someone near you from this sight give it the once over with you if possible, The guys here know the M-35 better than most tech manuals. If it runs good doesnt leak and is close to home your already ahead of where everyone else here usually starts. I would find out about the title and go with it if your okay with it.

PS... to prevent any more holes in your cab get a Marine to teach whoever is driving how to use a weapon first.... its in the TM manual..... :)

and if you do get it please take a picture of your wifes face when you pull in the drive with it, its memorable to say the least.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks